DDR2 soon to be outdated?

2gb should be fine. Are you adding to what you have?

I just compared DDR2 to DDR3 prices... not that great a difference anyore. $60 for 4gb of DDR3, $50 for DDR2

Yeah I was just about to say that superman. The difference in price is getting pretty small now. The only thing is if you are going to run DDR3 now your going to have to buy a new motherboard. So if I was you I would go with the cheapest option you have now and just step up to DDR3 on your next build.

Most CPU's don't really benefit from the extra bandwidth of the DDR3 unless you are overclocking. It's really not going to make a big difference unless you are upgrading the whole system and getting use of the extra bandwidth.

The 2 GB should be fine but if you can get 4 for around the same price I mean for me its all about the price I can get. I don't think you really need to add 4gb but if its the same price or close to it you might as well. Also I think you would get more speed out of a 2 x 1gb kit as opposed to 1 2gb stick.

Another thing is too are you adding to your current ram or are you just upgrading to new ram?

Most CPU's don't really benefit from the extra bandwidth of the DDR3 unless you are overclocking. It's really not going to make a big difference unless you are upgrading the whole system and getting use of the extra bandwidth.

The 2 GB should be fine but if you can get 4 for around the same price I mean for me its all about the price I can get. I don't think you really need to add 4gb but if its the same price or close to it you might as well. Also I think you would get more speed out of a 2 x 1gb kit as opposed to 1 2gb stick.

This is true. Unless you have an overclocked processor, you probably won't notice a difference.

Exactly. Personally, I only use 2gb (I mainly just game and listen to music, with the occasional music recording/editing) because I really don't see a need for more. But if you can get it for around the same price, then go for it! But yeah, ddr2 (don't know about other types) runs fastest and best when paired in sticks. So 2x2gb sticks are faster then a 1gb stick. Also, something like a 1gb stick with a 2gb stick would be a bad idea. The better way would be 2 1.5gb sticks.

I never fully utilize 4gb of ram, or my cpu
4core.jpg

ive never gone over 3gbs and thats with a lot of stuff up
ya but like i said up grade with just 2 gb ddr2 pretty cheap
then next build get your self some ddr3 and then maybe sell your old build or give it to a family member being that its still in great performance shape

Prices seemed to drop quick on ddr3 which puts a smile on my face, but then makes me wonder. When will i fully use ddr3 if i don't with ddr2? I guess when more demanding games come out we shall be prepared. For my next build ddr3 all the way for the price of it when im ready for a new build.:D

2gb should be fine. Are you adding to what you have?

I just compared DDR2 to DDR3 prices... not that great a difference anyore. $60 for 4gb of DDR3, $50 for DDR2

Haha, damn I didnt even bother to look at those prices, I guess I should have.

I would like 4gb, but I also want to save 20 dollars. I am going to shop around today for a hell of a deal... if there is one to be had

I just went on amazon and found a quad core cpu, and ram deal for like $232 awhile back and i just got that.

Oh, and for the record I don't plan on using the ram I current have installed.

All new stuff...

I'm not 100% sure that my board supports thats ram. And after just looking im an idiot. I just assumed my computer was a littler nicer then it really is I guess lol take a look..

I'm stuck with Pc2-4200.... gay

Untitled-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom