Text Messaging

I hate double posting, but I have to bump this:

So when I talked to the guy online he said "Generall, you pay international rates for any text message sent to another country" (paraphrased, generally was there however). Yesterday, before I talked with the guy, I sent my friend a text message. I still haven't been charged any additional fees under my text message balance. I don't know what to make of this. People err more than computers...should I go with the computer on this one? Maybe wait a little more to see if the fee is being delayed?

I'd wait a little bit. On my phone, all charges are delayed a little.

I have Virgin Mobile, unlimited txting, 10 cents a minute phone calls. Phone calls show up on the balance checker on my phone, but take awhile to show up on the internet.

I checked it through my phone. Mine usually has a delay of 12 hours. I'm just wondering if maybe this could be higher because it was an international text message.

pretty sure that international rates won't be free.

if I had an unlimited minutes plan I wouldn't expect to be able to phone Australia.

She says she sends/receives text to/from US and doesn't get charged extra. I'll probably just call tomorrow morning. Or e-mail them tonight.
I'm pretty sure that texts to the US from most Canadian carriers are classified international, though Koodo (Telus' discount brand) texts to the US are free. If she's with Bell, Telus or Rogers/Fido, it's going to cost her to send you texts for sure. I have a Bell phone (before and after the Aliant merge) and it costs me extra for intl texts.

As for you texting her, I don't know if the advice from someone at some random forum has any credibility, but http://cellphoneforums.net/general-service-provider-forum/t251971-texting-canada-us.html.

Just an alternative solution to this thread...

Services such as FishText, smsBug, vgsMail and so on offer cheap international text messaging. The one that i know about is FishText.com, which can be used from your mobile phone or your computer. if you send a message to another FishText user, then it is free!

Be aware though because your service provider will charge you for data usage over GPRS, which in my experience is a minute amount (but if your phone can use wifi hotspots then that should work too for free).

Back
Top Bottom