Linksys 4port router/HSD

tim_ver

Solid State Member
I have a linksys 4port wireless router 2.4 ghz. I have comcast hsd with 12 Mbps and if I hook up straight to my PC or laptop and do a speed test on it at comcast site or another I get from 12-22 Mbps download. If I hook up the hsd modem to my switch then to a pc/notebook I get 5-7 Mbps down load.

Is my switch bad? how do I fix this so my speed is not so reduced?

Thanks

Switches divide up the bandwidth, so each machine on the switch reduces the amount of bandwidth/speed to each machine.

I only have two pc's on it sometimes only on and goes from 22 kbps to 6 kbps. Seems like my router is not working right. Which is the best out now?

Do you have a switch and a router? You can hook up the modem to the input on the switch to see if the router is the problem.

If you just have a switch it is most likely the switch.

I have a router. I have looked at dlink routers and heard they are better than Linksys routers. Is this true?

the router is 6+ years old.

Since you have a router log into the router and adjust the MTU take it off AUTO, set it to manual and start with 1500 and try your speed test again, you will notice some sort of difference and to further tweak it follow this.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

I have a linksys 4port wireless router 2.4 ghz. I have comcast hsd with 12 Mbps and if I hook up straight to my PC or laptop and do a speed test on it at comcast site or another I get from 12-22 Mbps download. If I hook up the hsd modem to my switch then to a pc/notebook I get 5-7 Mbps down load.

Is my switch bad? how do I fix this so my speed is not so reduced?

Thanks

What model Linksys router? Several of Linksys routers will not pass wan to lan more than about 7mbps which would explain your problem. You aren't going to be able to use a super cheap router and expect to see those higher speeds. This time you'll need to spend a little (but trust me, it's worth it).

Up until recently I would have recommended D-Link high end products but they have such horrible customer service and recent firmware upgrades have bricked many models of the high end stuff...stay away!!

Let's start first with the model number and go from there....

Also try this Broadband Speed Test under the Broadband Tools select TCP Quality Test and paste the results from the detailed analysis here and let's take a look.

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4614832 bps
Upload speed: 2864208 bps
Download quality of service: 89 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 93 ms
Average download pause: 14 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 40 ms
Average round trip time to server: 44 ms