Remote Login query.

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
I've set up a small computer in the garage. It's connected to my wireless network and I can access files and folders on it.

Just one thing though.

I've set up a remote access to it from my main computer. It works fine but i've just realised that I have to login on the remote computer before I can login to it from my main computer.

The thing is I wanted to put just the tower in the broom cupboard down stairs without the monitor, mouse and keyboard. But now I need those connected to it too so I can login to it.

Is there a way I can just use the tower and remotely login to it without having to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard?

Lots of help appreciated.

What do you use for your remote log-ins? Something like VNC would probably work for you. We use it at work and can access computers that are not logged on. :)

I'm using Windows XP Pro's own login software.

The remote computer is connected wirelessly to my network.

The thing is, this wouldn't be a problem if the remote computer was on all the time. But I switch it off at nights.

Wireless? I was going to suggest a wake-on-LAN script, but that wouldn't work if it isn't wired (since your wireless adapter would be switched off). As far as I am aware, RealVNC and TightVNC will allow you to connect remotely even without the computer being logged on.

Wireless? I was going to suggest a wake-on-LAN script, but that wouldn't work if it isn't wired (since your wireless adapter would be switched off). As far as I am aware, RealVNC and TightVNC will allow you to connect remotely even without the computer being logged on.

So even when you've just started the remote computer and you get the prompt for a password the Ethernet is live and working?

I think that might be the problem. The USB wireless receiver isn't on at this stage and the driver software loads after you log in.

I need to hard wire the remote computer up to my router and see if this solves the problem.

;)

Well, hard-wiring it would go some way to giving you more options, however your wireless adapter should be connected before you're asked to log in. We have computers that connect to wireless APs at work and they're able to run start-up and log-on scripts, as well as apply policies, before a user has logged on.

You would, however, get the advantage of being able to make use of a wake-on-LAN script (provided your motherboard supported this feature) if you were plugged in to the router instead.

VNC is a free software that will allow you to login remotely when the computer isn't logged in. I think you can control when your wireless adapter connects to the network (I have been able to do that with the software I've seen). Look around and see if there is an option to connect to the wireless network before login.

VNC is a free software that will allow you to login remotely when the computer isn't logged in. I think you can control when your wireless adapter connects to the network (I have been able to do that with the software I've seen). Look around and see if there is an option to connect to the wireless network before login.

This is what I need to do I think. Because the wireless receiver only starts to work after the driver software loads up..... after I log into windows.

EDIT:

Just checked the settings for the wireless receiver and there's nothing that allows it to work before login.

Look to see if you can download Intel's Wireless Pro software. I have that on mine (I don't think you need to have an Intel Wireless card to use it or if you do, it was just lucky that mine must be an Intel). I downloaded it off the net because I had one laptop that was using it and it was available, so I downloaded it on my Lenovo laptop as well. It works fine for me so maybe give that a try.

Look to see if you can download Intel's Wireless Pro software. I have that on mine (I don't think you need to have an Intel Wireless card to use it or if you do, it was just lucky that mine must be an Intel). I downloaded it off the net because I had one laptop that was using it and it was available, so I downloaded it on my Lenovo laptop as well. It works fine for me so maybe give that a try.

Thats software for Intel's own mobile internal WIFI adapter.

Back
Top Bottom