LCD Monitor Vs LCD HD TV

im so torn between the two

Im absolutely sure i need a tv for the dorm, but if i get the screen it means im still spending more money to get another tv or have to bring a huge crt.

the rooms are extremely cramped (like 12 ft by 10) and two people have to fit in there

i think i will buy a hdmi to dvi cable and try it out on my 46 in lcd at home

The monitor. If you're using a TV as a monitor you might as well be using a console since the resolution stinks.

The monitor. If you're using a TV as a monitor you might as well be using a console since the resolution stinks.

How so? I have a 1080p monitor, shouldn't it be the same resolution as my 56" 1080p tv? The only gripe I would have with a tv as a monitor is that they aren't designed to display still images as long (such as your desktop) and the stands aren't designed to tilt and such as a monitor. Also, it may not have a DVI in, which I always prefer.

i may be wrong, but i hear that the resolution of the tv will not be determined by the actual tv but by the graphics card

The physical pixel structures are very different between the two. Go up to an LCD TV and look at the pixels and see how much larger and wider spaced they are compared to a computer monitor. Then go to your computer monitor and do the same. This is why it's so frickin' hard to read on a TV monitor. I can vouch for this since I have a 50" plasma (yes, granted it's not an LCD). It's why you have to use such a crappy resolution to do anything productive on a TV. I think that's what celegorm was hinting at, along with the fact that you can go OVER 1080p on most computer monitors, but not TVs.

well, im def not going out and buying a 50 in

maybe something in the 20's

willl it still be fuzzy?

The physical pixel structures are very different between the two. Go up to an LCD TV and look at the pixels and see how much larger and wider spaced they are compared to a computer monitor. Then go to your computer monitor and do the same. This is why it's so frickin' hard to read on a TV monitor. I can vouch for this since I have a 50" plasma (yes, granted it's not an LCD). It's why you have to use such a crappy resolution to do anything productive on a TV. I think that's what celegorm was hinting at, along with the fact that you can go OVER 1080p on most computer monitors, but not TVs.

This is sorta true. I think it's like this because one the tv it has to cover much more room with the pixels. So on a smaller TV it might be different.

willl it still be fuzzy?

I have a friend who just bought a samsung monitor that also has a tv tuner in it. 24.8". He loves it ;)

willl it still be fuzzy?

Yes. But you can probably make due. You just won't getting any killer resolutions out of it.

This is sorta true. I think it's like this because one the tv it has to cover much more room with the pixels. So on a smaller TV it might be different.

I have a friend who just bought a samsung monitor that also has a tv tuner in it. 24.8". He loves it ;)

It's because they are to be viewed at a distance further away then a computer monitor. That's why most don't have great resolutions.

Yes. But you can probably make due. You just won't getting any killer resolutions out of it.

It's because they are to be viewed at a distance further away then a computer monitor. That's why most don't have great resolutions.

You guys are really hung up on this resolution thing aren't cha? :p They clearly state what resolution they have. The resolution between a 1080p tv and a 1080p monitor are the exact same.

You guys are really hung up on this resolution thing aren't cha? :p They clearly state what resolution they have. The resolution between a 1080p tv and a 1080p monitor are the exact same.

I can assure you that a 22" LCD computer monitor and a 22" TV setup for use as a monitor at the same viewing distance will NOT look the same at 1080p. That's the point I was try to get across. Hence:
This is why it's so frickin' hard to read on a TV monitor.
It's why you have to use such a crappy resolution to do anything productive on a TV.

You might have to back off the resolution of the TV to 1024x768 (you would have to see for yourself; you might be able to read something larger) in order to read small text, which will then look like crap anyways since it's 1024x768. Or you could just use the zoom feature in all of your programs at native res. Haha. That would suck.

Back
Top Bottom