OS Wars ........again

Did we really need another one of these? It basically IS another Windows vs Mac thread...with out that in the title. People talked about linux in that last thread, so don't even use that as an excuse.

I can't wait till F4C comes around in here and posts his usual "OMGZ ROFLCOPTER WINDOWSSSS FTWWW!!!111!!!! LULZZz!!!!"

:rolleyes:

Meh, the RC isn't that great.
I switched back to Win XP pro 32....
Then back to debian, and
i was like 'Why did I do that?'
Long story short---As a standalone OS, its OK. It's power hungry, but its compatibility is terrible.

Comparability terrible? You must be using windows 98 software. Everything that works on vista they are guaranteeing to work on W7 (so far I've found that to be true) and everyone who I know that has used thinks it a lot faster.

Comparability terrible? You must be using windows 98 software. Everything that works on vista they are guaranteeing to work on W7 (so far I've found that to be true) and everyone who I know that has used thinks it a lot faster.

This.

I prefer windows. Linux was overwhelming to me, because it was like I was learning how to use a computer again. I don't want to have to screw around with the command prompt to install a program. Download .exe, double click, and mash the next button. That's how I like to install stuff. Not sudo apt-install blah blah blah blah blah. Also, it was a pain to get help with it. Couldn't find a driver, or get something to work, so instead of getting some help or going to a website with tons of solutions, I had to go to forums to talk to random people that may or may not know wtf they're talking about. As for OSX, I never liked any of it. It just seemed like it was a step behind windows to me, and none of it ever clicked. I also dislike how you can't (legally) run OSX on anything but certified mac hardware. Also, I dislike apple as a company, the only thing they've ever done right in my eyes is the ipod.

But windows, for me, has always sort of clicked. Everything makes sense, and is user friendly, without treating you like an idiot and still giving you full control. Also, there is almost endless tech support, and although you only pay for windows once, you get tons of updates and support. Also, nearly everything is compatible with it. Want a game? Just buy the disk and toss it in. Don't even have to worry about it. Plus, it's very customizable, and runs on pretty much any hardware. I just prefer it overwhelmingly. Any how, just my two cents :)

No, the RC still hasn't worked this out completely yet.
None of my drivers would work, even in compatibility mode, as well as AMD overdrive, and my audio management program.
Games and things worked though, they just looked like crap because my graphics driver wouldn't install....
If microsoft sorts this out, then yes it seems like a good OS, and I really tried to give it a fair shot, but at the moment, too many problems.

On a side note, I just installed ubuntu 9.04 on my netbook.
It seems OK, no problems yet, other than it being desperately slow when opening certain programs.

I am considering reverting to Debian, but it takes up a bit more space, and with only 4gb, I need all I can get.

Oh, and one more cool linux-related thing (even though its kinda off topic) I just found a free program called 'unetbootin' that allows ISO's to be run off of USB flash drives. I'm not sure if it converts them to IMG's or emulates or what, but it works very well.
No more CD burn errors for me!!!! I'm so excited!!!!

No, the RC still hasn't worked this out completely yet.
None of my drivers would work, even in compatibility mode, as well as AMD overdrive, and my audio management program.
Games and things worked though, they just looked like crap because my graphics driver wouldn't install....
If microsoft sorts this out, then yes it seems like a good OS, and I really tried to give it a fair shot, but at the moment, too many problems.

Odd, I had no problems with it, other then daemon tools not installing. I had fun with it, the boot was pretty fast, and it was pretty. Had to change the toolbar back to a more streamlined vista styled one, but I enjoyed the DX10 (even though it is crazy over rated :rolleyes: )

Meh.
For windows, its OK, maybe almost to what I would consider 'good' (at least for microsoft, that is) but it doesn't even compare to a good linux distro IMO.

Blaming MS for lack of drivers? That's just plain wrong. MS is not responsible for that, manufacturers are. Also, vista drivers seem to work just fine in W7....

Back
Top Bottom