Power Supply

spmorgan21

Baseband Member
I need to know what power supply to get because my old one went out and I am not sure which one will fit my computer, im looking at getting about 650W

Depends on the case (What size to get, pretty much all cases use the standard ATX size) and your components. Make sure that it has enough wattage to power everything. Also make sure that there is enough power on the 12v rail. Don't buy a cheapo power supply, or you will be sorry. You should go with a trusted brand, such as corsair, or PC power and cooling.

im not sure what size it is, its pretty fat i guess would be the word lol. and the old one was only 450W and that one failed. nd the case isnt a skinny one its the standard size.

here is what this says on the side of it,
SafeRedirectaspx-1.jpg

im not sure what size it is, its pretty fat i guess would be the word lol. and the old one was only 450W and that one failed. nd the case isnt a skinny one its the standard size.

here is what this says on the side of it,
SafeRedirectaspx-1.jpg

OK, that says it's BTX. Let me see if I can find one that size. What I mean by size, is physically how big it is. If the old one was 450, then anything over that should be fine. Let me see if I can find you a good one on newegg...

EDIT: How much are you willing to spend? Also, BTX is bigger then ATX vertically, so you will be able to fit either in your case. The only problem is that your case might not have mounting holes for ATX size PSU's. Mine didn't (It's an ancient compaq case lol) but I just drilled holes for it and it's fine. So you might want to see if it appears to have holes to mount an ATX PSU, and would you be willing to drill new ones if it doesn't?

That particular power supply fits both ATX and BTX cases.

Here's the different cases:
13atxbtxhc6.gif

Many BTX cases will accept an ATX PSU except for some Dell computers which use proprietary components.

okay, well i tried one of my friends PSUs but the plugins were to big and to small in places

That particular power supply fits both ATX and BTX cases.

Here's the different cases:
13atxbtxhc6.gif

Many BTX cases will accept an ATX PSU except for some Dell computers which use proprietary components.

Well, if BTX, here's a decent one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024

If you can use ATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

I just know that my case (once again, some ancient compaq thing) had a big, almost square power supply in it. I took it out, and had to sorta rig my current one in with an extra hole and a longer screw. I have no clue what size it was though =/

okay, well i tried one of my friends PSUs but the plugins were to big and to small in places

You mean the plugs that go to the components? If it was an old PSU, it might not have had the proper plugs. But for the most part it's pretty standard. 6 pin to the gpu, 4 pin to processor, 20+4 pin to mobo...

hmm well my no good power supply says BTX put that case doesnt look like mine, mine looks like that ATX case

Back
Top Bottom