What are the cables called so that that I can connect laptop to HDTV?

Well, your normal S-Video cord isn't long enough, right? Just buy a longer cable.

It's always good to eliminate adapters/converters whenever possible.

is that the easiest thing to do?!

yea they look exactly the same. well what should i do? buy the S-video extender? or what....

Well, can you return the VGA extension cable? It was probably more expensive than the S-Video cable, was it not? If you don't want to do that, you can get a gender changer for your VGA cable. If your VGA cable looks like this on both sides, you need one of these which would go on the converter side. If it looks like this on both ends, then you need this one to go on the laptop side.

no its not a VGA extension cable, its for my other HDTV, and it works fine, when im using my lenovo x200 with my sony HDTV, but now I bought this VGA to S-Video cable for my other older TV (non-HD) but when I got the cable in the mail today I saw that the cable is not long at all. its like under 10inch long.

btw 01001010 this is the only VGA-to-S-Video cable I could find on monoprice.com
so a quick question to set up this cable, there are 2 things, I know the VGA part goes into the VGA input on the laptop. then the S-video goes into the S-video input onto the TV and the yellow cable goes into the yellow input on the back of the TV? what does the yellow cable control!? the audio only? and the s-video does the visual part? or what?

no its not a VGA extension cable, its for my other HDTV, and it works fine, when im using my lenovo x200 with my sony HDTV, but now I bought this VGA to S-Video cable for my other older TV (non-HD)

Okay, so if you already had the VGA cable, then just get a gender changer like I said.

but when I got the cable in the mail today I saw that the cable is not long at all. its like under 10inch long.

I'm sorry to be a slight jackass, but does this look like a 10 foot cable or something?
25092.jpg

Besides I just looked @ the main picture.

Well that's being a conscious buyer, isn't it? :rolleyes:

instead of a gender changer couldnt I just get an extension, on the side of the S-Video cable and the yellow cable?

Um, you mean like the freaking cable I recommened?
Why can't you use your VGA to VGA cable? Does it not work, or does it not have the correct connectors? It should work just peachy. You could get an s-video cable extension I suppose...(they have larger sizes available.)

Again->:rolleyes:.

btw could you answer my question about what they do!?

What "what" does? A gender changer? A gender changer changes the...erm...gender. So I mean, it's like a cable sex-change. If you have male on the end and put a female gender changer on it, then, walah!...you have a female end now. Get it? It just gives you the opposite connector...aka, the ONE YOU NEED.

you can get a gender changer for your VGA cable. If your VGA cable looks like this on both sides, you need one of these which would go on the converter side. If it looks like this on both ends, then you need this one to go on the laptop side.

so does S-Video do the Audio and Visual all in one cable? cause when I plug in my X200 on my HDTV via a VGA cable I still have to use an Audio cable for the audio. but the S-Video does it all in one?! So the only one that I have to worry about is the black cable(S-video) the one circled in red.. in the following pic. so then why did they even put a yellow cable with this VGA to S-video converter cable?!

aaaaa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom