How should I go about setting this up?

How about a wireless print server? That seams to be the best way.... That or encrypt the network.

Yeah the printer's connected through USB. It's a Canon MP160. Yes both printers are on the same network. The reason I want only the two laptops to be able to see its a shared printer is that I'm using our WiFi signal to network on both computers. I'm worried that if anyone, say, parked out front stealing signal to use Internet could theroriticaly connect to MY printer.

Thanks for the responses.

If thats what you're worried about just secure your WAN... unless they have the gigantic password for your network they won't be able to get onto your printers nor your laptops.

all three can use the wireless signal to connect to the internet
I assume you have a wireless router? and you are using DHCP? or are you using static ip addresses ?

the two you want in the netwok w/ the printer, give them the same workgroup name, for the time being turn off any firewalls. Create an account w/ a password on each machine, then switch machines and log on w/ the same account. You have to have both accounts on both machines ( no server). Then share your printer, in the share include both log on accounts , do the same for the "security" tab.
all three machines will be able to surf the net and two will be also networked...thats it.

all three can use the wireless signal to connect to the internet
I assume you have a wireless router? and you are using DHCP? or are you using static ip addresses ?

the two you want in the netwok w/ the printer, give them the same workgroup name, for the time being turn off any firewalls. Create an account w/ a password on each machine, then switch machines and log on w/ the same account. You have to have both accounts on both machines ( no server). Then share your printer, in the share include both log on accounts , do the same for the "security" tab.
all three machines will be able to surf the net and two will be also networked...thats it.

there is your answer!

Bahahaha

Back
Top Bottom