Testing my sub

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
I call it a failure, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

I was testing it by using Audacity.

I started with a 5hz to 80hz sweep. That went perfect, though I noticed some modulation around the 70hz mark. Believe it or not, I got good results under the 30hz mark, which is the lower limit of my sub. So then I started testing individual frequencies to see what the upper limits of the sub was. I tested 135hz first, and after about 10 seconds, I smelt the classic smell of burning speaker, so I immediately stopped the test and turned my sound system off. Not sure what happened.

Anyone know? I had the volume of the entire system halfway, though the sub is tuned slightly higher than the front and center, and the rear speakers are higher than the sub and front. The sub is rated for 100 watts RMS. Here's a link to the system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121121

If it still works, you are ok. You were just starting to burn the voice coil. Honestly its not a problem it was just starting to heat up and burn the spider 'classic smell', and if you kept going you would have ruined the coil which is the electro magnet and you woulda killed it.

Like so

hi_fi_speakers_burnt_colis_1.jpg

135 is too high for the subwoofer. Let it reproduce frequences 40hz and under (well thats how it works in car audio...........................).

This system SHOULD automatically switch from sub to speaker, shouldn't it?

60 to around 250hz is bass if i remember correctly, so I don't know why 135 would have utilized the sub more than the other speakers. I would expect it to fire a little bit from the sub and some from the main speakers.

I don't know much about audio systems.

Most subwoofers have the crossover set between 40Hz and 80Hz. 135Hz is pretty high.

135 is too high for the subwoofer. Let it reproduce frequences 40hz and under (well thats how it works in car audio...........................).

Computer speakers are a completely different story. I doubt most can even go below 40Hz.

This system SHOULD automatically switch from sub to speaker, shouldn't it?

60 to around 250hz is bass if i remember correctly, so I don't know why 135 would have utilized the sub more than the other speakers. I would expect it to fire a little bit from the sub and some from the main speakers.

I don't know much about audio systems.

Then you shouldnt be messing with sine sweeps when you dont know what you're doing. Not to lecture you but look what can happen.

Read up before you decided to almost burn your sub again.. not that I have too much room to talk. But I know how to test.. I just almost melt it due to too LOUD! Hah.

Set the xover at 45 and call it a day.

He should have an equalizer.

Set the 'power' on the back of the sub to half way and toy with everything at one fourth volume with the equalizer and see where you like it. Then adjust sub loudness from there.

Example mine:

Edit- granted that is WMP and not his program. Im sure Audacity has a built in one as well.

Ok, so everything is good with my system now. I just broke out the song "Woofercooker" by Bass Mekanik, and it sounds pretty good.

I'm not sure where the crossover is set at default, I haven't found a setting for that. But I can set the crossover in Winamp when I am playing a song through it. I kept it around 120hz, but I just lowered it to 80 to see what happened. It actually sounds better now, so thanks for pointing that out 01001010.

You guys posted a lot quicker than I could respond. I'm going to play with the crossover setting now and see what I can get out of it. I'll keep it below 80 from now on.

He should have an equalizer.

Set the 'power' on the back of the sub to half way and toy with everything at one fourth volume with the equalizer and see where you like it. Then adjust sub loudness from there.

I don't think an equalizer's going to do anything. I'm willing to bet most computer speakers have a set crossover that's unchangeable.

xover.jpg

With mine, you can change the crossover in game mode only it appears.

I'd like to be able to change it in creation mode, which I am always in because you never know when I want to break out Ableton or FL Studio. Plus it just sounds better overall in creation mode.

Back
Top Bottom