OS Wars ........again

i can't wait to get w7 though. I heard good things about it. And the screen shots ive seen look pretty clean to me. Its a bit on the hefty side going from xp haha

Meh, the RC isn't that great.
I switched back to Win XP pro 32....
Then back to debian, and
i was like 'Why did I do that?'
Long story short---As a standalone OS, its OK. It's power hungry, but its compatibility is terrible.

They are both unix-based, so they are able to use improvements (though there really aren't many left they could do, besides opening the platform.)

No, Mac OS is Unix-based. Linux is Unix-like. There's a difference between the two.

Its unix-based now.
It used to be minix based, which is unix based.

Not much unix left though...

Only systems fully compliant with and certified according to the Single UNIX Specification are qualified to use the trademark; others are called "Unix system-like" or "Unix-like".
The Single UNIX Specification (SUS) is the collective name of a family of standards for computer operating systems to qualify for the name "Unix". The SUS is developed and maintained by the Austin Group, based on earlier work by the IEEE and The Open Group.
Linux

No Linux distribution has been registered as SUS compliant.

The Linux Standard Base was formed in 2001 as an attempt to standardize the internal structures of Linux-based systems for increased compatibility. It is based on, and also extends in several areas, the POSIX specifications, Single UNIX Specification, and other open standards. It is de facto accepted and followed by many Linux distributions
Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server

Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" and Mac OS X Server v10.5 "Leopard Server", released on October 26, 2007, are Open Brand UNIX 03 registered products when run on Intel processors.
^

I like to use windows xp sp3. It has less bugs than vista. And linux seems to me like a mac knock off so i stay away from it. And xp is easy to use and not very demanding so i can play games and not worry about my specs for it. Thats just me though.

I'm willing to bet that the only reason it seems like a Mac knock-off to you is because you've only used distributions that are GNOME-based. If you saw my desktop, you wouldn't know what to think of it :p

I use Windows XP Professional.

Because it works, works and still works! With any application I throw at it.

At the moment I have two XP Pro Installs on separate drives. One for editing work with no internet connection and the other is purely for internet activity.

I will try Ubuntu again cause I like how you can customize it. I just want to learn more about the 'grub'. The last time I got rid of it I had to re-install XP!!!

Im Using Vista Home Premium at the moment,it does what i want it to do but it's not all that stable.As soon as W7 Comes out,Im getting it.

Though im building an Ubuntu Box which i hope to be using on a regular box.

I will try Ubuntu again cause I like how you can customize it. I just want to learn more about the 'grub'. The last time I got rid of it I had to re-install XP!!!

In the event of that happening in future, you can use the Windows XP Recovery Console to fix the MBR, thus avoiding a reinstall.

Back
Top Bottom