Best Media Center Software

warney23

Beta member
What is everyones opinion on the best media center software?

I recently went through alot of different ones on both mac & pc to see if i could find the ultimate one heres a list of just a few

Pc: Mediaportal
XBMC
Windows media center

Mac: Plex
Xbmc
Boxee

Alot depends on your system obviously & what you want it to do, some for instance let you stream from a server to your pc in the loungeroom, some let you watch live tv if you have a tv tuner etc etc.

So my verdict: After reading lots & playing around with different options i decided to go the mac route so that eliminated the pc only software ( unless i used bootcamp to boot to windows, but thats another story). So i had already been using XBMC on pc for awhile so i checked out the mac ,version checked boxee out & checked plex out. After much consideration i eliminated
Boxee which left me with xbmc or plex. So after awhile i have finally made the decision to go with plex purely because plex has a media server that lets you stream all sorts of additional content & is a mac port of xbmc so it benefits from all the skin developments that xbmc community creates anyway & will be aimed more at the mac user whereas Xbmc creates for multiple platforms so they have less time to create for the mac.

If you haven't checked out XBMC or PLEX you should do so especially with the aeon skin it is visually amazing & works beautifully. Live tv is not supported but the is workarounds if thats important to you
What's your opinions?

From what I've seen, and from what customer's have said, Vista Home premium's Media center just destroys everything else. I've never used anything else, but i love it. Easy to use, picks up my cable singal from my tuner and everything. Not much it can't do.

It would be great if you could skin it, the interface is ugly. everything works great but visually its not that good.

Front Row is alright. It used to be a nice feature when they would ship out the remotes alongside the MacBook notebooks.

Back
Top Bottom