Hello ComputerForums!

dzyubin

Baseband Member
Hello ComputerForums! I just joined this forum because my computer exprience isn't enough to help out with some things, I looked over and saw a great community with great support. I like to tell a little about my self, well I am John and I always had interest in tweaking with computers. I've had some what experience in building and fixing my computer over the years.

Well now I got couple of questions.

I got my Sony Vaio Pc back in 2004-05, because I needed a good Pc with somewhat RAM to do buisness and some gaming, right away before buying I got 1Gb of Ram and a GPU which is well was a powerful card back then NVidia GeForce 6600.

My Computer Specs are

Processor or CPY: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPU's)
1gb of RAM or (1022MB)
My Vaio Pc model is VGC-RB30
I got Widows XP.

Well my questions are

I got more free time now, so I am planning to "upgrade" my PC to little more powerful machine or might as well build a new one.

I looked over new game titles while I was in the store and I was shocked that my specs are near close enough to run most modern games. I mean wow it's been what 3 years :cool:.

So you guys think I should build a new PC with brand new details or just upgrade my machine?

Opinion #1 Upgrade.

What Video card should I get ?
I know I need more RAM then 1gb at least 2 or maybe i go up to 4.

Option #2 is just to build my own.

Good Ideas good hardware not super expensive please.

Thank you.

Sincerely, John.

I say build a new one.

What is your budget?

The Phenom 2's are an excellent deal for budget machines, but I'm an AMD die-hard. Core 2 quads are also excellent but cost a bit more.

Also, do you have any brand preferences?

I say build a new one.

What is your budget?

The Phenom 2's are an excellent deal for budget machines, but I'm an AMD die-hard. Core 2 quads are also excellent but cost a bit more.

Also, do you have any brand preferences?

Well my personal favorite is NVIDIA in GPU section, never trusted Raidon to do the job:rolleyes:

I want a i7 inter proccesor and a good motherboard.

I don't want a super powerful machine I want a average one to play new games and run Windows word, outlook and powerpoint.

I took a look at Recommended Specifications for Fallout 3 and Mass Effect since I was looking a present for my nephew and I was shocked. My Pc would never be able to run that.

My budget would be around 800$ I would go as 1000$ in this economy man:rolleyes:

I want a i7 inter proccesor and a good motherboard.

I don't want a super powerful machine I want a average one to play new games and run Windows word, outlook and powerpoint.

Hehe Contradiction right there.

You wouldn't need an i7 to run just that.
If you are more towards gaming and have $1000 to spend
This would do you just fine.

By the way, Hello :)

Thanks for the welcome guys, and processor added to my list.

Now need a good motherboard that can have up 10 gb of Ram

Now we move on to the Ram and of course a cheap full tower case I don't need a super Flashy, bright spinning and opening case, anything cheap would do just fine.

Now we move on to the Ram and of course a cheap full tower case I don't need a super Flashy, bright spinning and opening case, anything cheap would do just fine.

Do you need a full tower?
Why not a standard mid-tower?
You can get a nice tower with fans and a see through side for a 100 bucks if you want.
I won't be able to show you as I'm going on vacation
Quick suggestion

You kind of contradicted yourself here in your posts. You said you don't need a super powerful machine, but you seem to be building a tank...you don't need an i7 if you aren't encoding or editing things. A Phenom 2 will do better in gaming...and AMD build is probably quite a bit cheaper right now...so more bang for your buck (for what you are using it for). And honestly, you shouldn't have a bias against ATI...IMHO, they are you're best bang for your buck right now in the GPU category. I love nVidia and ATI, but if you aren't giving me the best for my money, I'm not going to buy something from you..that's my philosophy on that. But, it's your money. For what you are doing, if you are doing casual gaming, but want very good performance, I'd grab a single ATI 4870 or an nVidia 260 Core 216. If you want to game heavier, then maybe grab 2 of either of the above cards and do a CF or SLI setup, depending on what platform (AMD/INTEL) you choose.

My 2 cents. Oh, and wise decision on not upgrading...it would probably cost as much as half of this build to get it up to decent specs with outdated hardware.

Back
Top Bottom