Do I need a new Graphics Card?

Squee913

Beta member
Hi, I am looking at upgrading my computer and I am wondering if I need a new video card. I currently have a Nividia Ge Force 8600 GT
Spec:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT
GPU Clock Speed 540 MHz
RAMDAC Speed 400 MHz
Card Interface PCI Express
Memory
Installed Memory 512 MB
Memory Tech GDDR2 SDRAM
Memory Data Width 128-bit
Installed Memory 512 MB (GDDR2 SDRAM)
Max. Screen Resolution 2560 x 1600

I am a gamer and this card seems to run most of the games I have just fine (Oblivion, Fallout3 Mass effect, Assassins creed), but I am wondering how long that will last. Is this card good enough to play the new games coming out like Assassins creed 2 more Mass effect 2? And if so, will it play the games at the high graphic setting or low? The idea is to keep this card as long as I can so that newer cards go down in price. Can some one please help me?

P.S. I was also considering getting another 8600 and linking them togeather. How much of an improvement would this be?

You are better off getting a new card all together, as opposed to getting an additional 8600 and running them in an SLI configuration. Your card may be able to handle future games, but newer games require more powerful hardware (usually), and you are due for an upgrade. What is your budget?

Well I need a new motherboard since my current only support 2GB ram.
A new processor (current is dual core 2140 @ 1.6 ghz)
And 2GB more of ram (Already have 2GB) to make 4GB
Budget of $400 plus or minus a few bucks

I'm looking at an AMD Phenom II 3.1ghz dual core with 7MB cache for $104
2GB of ram should be $20-40
And a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H motherboard for $80
So this leaves me with I guess $150-$170 for a video card, unless something about this config does not look good to you :)

I am not realy sure how to find my monitor res. It's a Viewsonic VA721. I run oblivion at 1024x1024, but I think that is just because that's how high it goes. Anyway, My plans is to make a system that wil play new games for the next couple of years at least... I understand that I will have to lower graphics later on and that's OK as long as I can still run a game that comes out two years from now.

That all looks pretty good. Your monitor is actually 1280x1024, is that what you meant?

Even though it's a little overkill for that resolution, the HD 4870 is the best price to performance card right now.

Back
Top Bottom