Windows Server Licensing?

Well, I also have no idea Neo, so don't take any of what I say seriously here:

Common-sense tells me that you only need the single license one because you are only building one server. The 10 copy one (I THINK) would be used if you were building 10 different server boxes. Someone needs to verify this, but that's what my gut tells me. I don't see why you'd have to buy a copy for every computer you plan to network...that would be stupid...plus you'd have to reinstall all the OSs with server 08...which would be stupid also. So I'm pretty sure it's the single license one since you are building ONE server to handle ALL computers you will network TO THAT SERVER.

Well that's where my gut tells me that you need 1 License per user,So you would need 5 Serials Reigstered with the server for 5 Users to be able to use the server at any one time?

Although you might be right,wont know until someone with uber-networking skills saves me :D

We Use THIS Program Company Wide,isnt compatible with Linux Im Afraid otherwise i'd be using it.This program is why we need the server,to centralize it's databases along with it's SQL Counterparts.

Hmm. I'm lost. So does that need to be installed on the server? Right? Bah. Shows how much I know about networking.

I did find this though. Confirms the worst.

This program is why we need the server,to centralize it's databases along with it's SQL Counterparts.

Ah okay. I think my network-noob-ness understands now. :p

I was just thinking you just need a server for file storage so that's why I suggested linux.

I Think that the Windows Server 2008 Operating system is installed on the server and then you register each Devices (Computers On Network) License on the server,allowing it to connect and use the server resources,I just need confirmation before i go spending company money :D

OK...
when you use Small business server, you buy a license for the server.
This gives you windows server OSx Exchange, SQL Server and an IIS license I think.

it's bad practise (dictated by Microsoft) to have these all on one machine, but for some reason they invent this product where they all Have to be on one machine!

after you've bought SBS for the server you have to buy Client Access Licenses (CALS) for all the devices that attach to the sever.

for example you have a server and 10 PC's in your office.

you need 1 SBS license 10 CALs

if you have 20 PCs, you need 1 SBS license, 20 CALS.

on the subject of SBS, it's a pain in the arse,
you can only have 1 DC at a time, which makes it incredibly difficult to upgrade the machine at any time, where usually you'd just have a second DC and migrate roles to it.
you can't do that with SBS cause you can only have 1 DC on the network.

so when/if your server gets old you eiter have to live with it, or revbuild your domain on a new server, and migrate all mail by way of backups, you have to add all machines to the new domain server, (cause SIDS will be different).

Having used SBS (both 2000 and 2003 version) I wouldn't ever advise anyone to go this route.

Back
Top Bottom