Random Chit Chat

Well, I guess so. I have to admit my question wasn't correctly stated. Let me see if I can reword it to capture the correct meaning because I totally agree with your train of thought.

I think what I meant to say was:

Let's suppose you have 2 fruits. I decide to call one an "Orange" and the other an "Apple". Assuming I have no preference to either one, am I being prejudice to either one by giving it that name instead of the name I gave the other?

Does that make sense? As human, we have a tendency to label things so it can be easily referable to later. It's like in a school. They label rooms, but they aren't prejudice to any certain room. The labels just make it easier when you want to find it.

Yes, that's completely correct. As I said when I responded to Teny, giving names to certain races does not make one a racist, nor does it show prejudice.

Most people residing in the United States are like that. However, very few understand exactly why they are this way.

Its a great system until someone says it racist because they didn't do as well as another race did. Is it racist for a test to allow an equal opportunity for all, but some do better than others?

Its a great system until someone says it racist because they didn't do as well as another race did. Is it racist for a test to allow an equal opportunity for all, but some do better than others?

That's a very deep question. I am going to quote straight from a novel for the answer, if you do not mind.

"When the students were asked to identify their race on a pretest quetsionaire, that simple act was sufficient to prime them with all the negative stereotypes associated with African Americans and academic achievement - and the number of items they got right was cut in half. As a society, we place enormous faith in tests because we think that they are a reliable indicator of the test taker's ability and knowledge. But are they really? If a white student from a prestigious private high school gets a higher SAT score than a black student from an inner-city school, is it because she's truly a better student, or is it because to be white and to attend a prestigious high school is to be constantly primed with the idea of "smart"?"

-Malcolm Gladwell, blink.

So, as you can understand, there is no right answer to your question, it simply raises more questions that are difficult to answer.

We went over this in sociollogy too... There is no actual thing as a race...
A race would be people with similar characteristics. Compare an Italian too like a German. What do they have in common? They might both be classified as white, but really, they are quite different in even skin color. South Africans to North African, again, quite different. There really is no true set races in the world. Skin tones range all over the charts. No whites and blacks, and beyond that, threre isn't any defining similarities other then things that all humans have. We are all one race essentially.

I don't remember what all the book had to back up the fact that there is no set races, but that's some of it...

We went over this in sociollogy too... There is no actual thing as a race...
A race would be people with similar characteristics. Compare an Italian too like a German. What do they have in common? They might both be classified as white, but really, they are quite different in even skin color. South Africans to North African, again, quite different. There really is no true set races in the world. Skin tones range all over the charts. No whites and blacks, and beyond that, threre isn't any defining similarities other then things that all humans have. We are all one race essentially.

I don't remember what all the book had to back up the fact that there is no set races, but that's some of it...

Pseudo psychological bullshit taught in High School to lower the rampant level of racism.

hahaa. You're loving the GIF animators I can see. I finally got around to animating mine. It's only 5 actually different frames.

Back
Top Bottom