How to get TV reception on my computer

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
Moving into dorms in fall and dont wanna buy a tv.

Instead i will do a dual screen with 17 in or get a new 24 in monitor

how do i exactly get tv cable to my computer

edit: i want tv reception on my computer.

what kind of TV cable? If it's RCA (yellow type) then the signal will be very unclear and the text will be impossible to read without the windows magnifier. Svideo will work, but I don't suggest it. Svideo to component cable splitter have given me great results with 1080i. And then there's DVI-I to HDMI converters which give you 1080p-1200p HD quality.

I would just suggest buying a monitor, and using a DVI-I cable from your video card straight to the monitor. It's often a PITA to use a television as a monitor unless it's small enough to fit on your desk, or is big enough to be read clearly across the room.

uhm...i think u read it wrong

I dont want a tv. I want cable reception through my computer/lcd monitor

Buy a TV tuner card. If you are in the United States, you will also need a $40 converter box since analog TV is illegal. It MUST be digital!!!

wow they look so pricey.

are there tv/lcd monitor combos that act as both, like a tv with an extra dvi output

I would just buy an ATSC TV tuner and save the money on the converter box. NTSC is an analog signal; ATSC is digital.

im thinking...can i use a dvi to hdmi converter and plug in my computer through that way?

or will be the picture be fuzzy like s connection?

You won't be able to plug your cable box into your computer through a HDMI-DVI. Video cards can only put out signal, not receive them.

EDIT: Again, I misinterpreted the question. You can use a DVI-HDMI converter cable to plug into *SOME* monitors. Check the I/O panel on the back of the monitor for HDMI ports. Straight DVI-I is probably your best bet. Cheaper than HDMI and puts out just as good a signal.

Back
Top Bottom