hmmmmm

pepzsoduh

In Runtime
why is it that decent gaming computers can cost near to 1,000 dollars when you can get a game system thats as good or better at gaming for 300?

just a thought

Don't know. Pricing is one reason why I will never buy retail systems (and, I guess, why I don't understand people who buy Alienware computers, for example). I guess a part of it is that you pay a premium for someone doing all the work of making sure that you get the highest-performance components for the price, that they're all properly tested and assembled, that they're compatible and that the system is designed to offer the best performance possible at that price level.

But I still think that they can be too expensive. Then again, I'm not a high-performance kind of guy, so I wouldn't buy that kind of machine anyways :p

nono what i meant was how come a decent gaming computer (even one you build yourself) is between 500 to 1000 dollars, when you can get a game system (xbox, ps3) that runs as good or better for 300?

Ohh, sorry >.<

Because consoles are not solely dependent on hardware sales, the manufacturers generate revenue from software as well. However in the computer world, hardware manufacturers generally only receive the major income from hardware, and so have to market it at a comparatively higher price.

It boils down to a few things really.

- High production numbers = low production cost. Yes more computers as a whole are built than PS3s, but each individual model? They can order everything in bulk and keep assembly costs to an absolute minimum that way.
- Games - they can sell them cheaper and charge more for the games themselves to make more money, with the (mostly correct) assumption that people will buy more games than consoles! Hence why console games are usually so expensive.
- A PC has to be able to do lots of general tasks, games consoles just need to play games! This is less important now than a few years back, but a few years ago companies could strip a lot out of PCs that they just didn't need.

There's probably a few more things but that's all I can think off of the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom