Friends build...problems arise...

jikifreak

In Runtime
Hey all!

I am helping a buddy of mine in New Mexico(I am in AZ) build his first rig! Nothing spectacular, just something better than what he had. But...he's running into problems.

His rig..

Athlon X264 Kuma
4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM
Foxconn A4MX-K MOBO
Antec 900 Case
Rosewill 500Watt PSU
GForce 9400GT 1GB PCI-X 16 2.0
200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
LG Black DVD-RW
Going Win7 RC

Now I was telling him over the phone how to install the motherboard screws where you have the ones that go in the case, then the mobo on top, then screw the mobo in. Now, I guided him on how to install the CPU, and he got that, applied thermal, got the heatsink/fan on, got the Gforce in, ram, hdd, DVD, blah blah. Got the front panel done, USB, audio, everything.

So, its time to power up.

First time nothing. FOund out the 20+4 wasnt pushed in all the way. Pushed it in, got power, but nothing posting on screen. DVD tray ejects, hard drives spinning. Plugged VGA and DVI into both mobo, and video card. So I had him shut it off, and try without the vid card. Same thing. Also, it wont power on with the PSU set to 115V?? It powers on with 230 ONLY...which is very strange.

I had him double check the front panel, all power connections, ram, everything seems to be in right, but nothing coming up on screen?

The mobo works, I pulled it from another machine, as does the rest of the stuff...am I missing something?

Hey all!

I am helping a buddy of mine in New Mexico(I am in AZ) build his first rig! Nothing spectacular, just something better than what he had. But...he's running into problems.

His rig..

Athlon X264 Kuma
4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM
Foxconn A4MX-K MOBO
Antec 900 Case
Rosewill 500Watt PSU
GForce 9400GT 1GB PCI-X 16 2.0
200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
LG Black DVD-RW
Going Win7 RC

Now I was telling him over the phone how to install the motherboard screws where you have the ones that go in the case, then the mobo on top, then screw the mobo in. Now, I guided him on how to install the CPU, and he got that, applied thermal, got the heatsink/fan on, got the Gforce in, ram, hdd, DVD, blah blah. Got the front panel done, USB, audio, everything.

So, its time to power up.

First time nothing. FOund out the 20+4 wasnt pushed in all the way. Pushed it in, got power, but nothing posting on screen. DVD tray ejects, hard drives spinning. Plugged VGA and DVI into both mobo, and video card. So I had him shut it off, and try without the vid card. Same thing. Also, it wont power on with the PSU set to 115V?? It powers on with 230 ONLY...which is very strange.

I had him double check the front panel, all power connections, ram, everything seems to be in right, but nothing coming up on screen?

The mobo works, I pulled it from another machine, as does the rest of the stuff...am I missing something?

Have him try another wall socket. Maybe the one tried is 230V? It's a long shot but it doesn't take too long to do.

There might be a problem with your psu.

Well he tried that, and the PSU is fine, we tried with 4 different PSU's :(

I told him when he comes home to remove the mobo and re screw everything cause it must be shorting the mobo somewhere

Back
Top Bottom