What Computer for Children?

You also have to remember (I'm talking to the OP here, and parents in general) that kids will almost always want to do what they are told not to do. So if you tell them straight off you are watching what they do on the net...well, then, you are probably in for a world of trouble. Parents need to trust and have a little more faith in their children. Maybe instead of just getting a bunch of software to "protect" them, you could also be a wonderful parent and sit down with them at the computer 30 minutes a day.

Like I mentioned a bit earlier...I am not the parent of these kids,I am helping a friend who has zero computer knowledge.I can't supervise the kids.I'm not even sure what advice to give the parents,as i've never been in the position to have to protect kids in that way.I'd like to put in a few protections.

I'd rather not get too winded here,I'd like to take that up in a new thread.thanks

You also have to remember (I'm talking to the OP here, and parents in general) that kids will almost always want to do what they are told not to do. So if you tell them straight off you are watching what they do on the net...well, then, you are probably in for a world of trouble. Parents need to trust and have a little more faith in their children. Maybe instead of just getting a bunch of software to "protect" them, you could also be a wonderful parent and sit down with them at the computer 30 minutes a day.

That's the kind of a parent I want to be when I have kids. You're a good man and a great thinker.

That's the kind of a parent I want to be when I have kids. You're a good man and a great thinker.

Thanks 63083 :)

I was quite serious when I said that, too. It seems to me like there's a big parent -> child disconnect in today's world!

Thanks 63083 :)

I was quite serious when I said that, too. It seems to me like there's a big parent -> child disconnect in today's world!

Oh I know you were very serious. I'm one of those kids. My mom always tries to control me and now I just don't listen the majority of the time.

Oh I know you were very serious. I'm one of those kids. My mom always tries to control me and now I just don't listen the majority of the time.

And the whole point is to avoid this. I mean, the controlling all together. Yes, you have to be a parent and put your foot down sometimes, but your children are not your slaves..and they aren't pets (though some certainly would like to think this). Parents are supposed to be your friends. I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to be raised by wonderful parents, and can see that the way they raised me was almost perfect. I mean sure, this doesn't apply to everyone, but if parents would have a little trust, like mine did, that's really all it takes. Instead of bossing your kids around and watching them like a hawk, join in with their activities. My dad STILL always asks about my computer stuff...it can get annoying, but at least I know he gives a sh**.

My mom is like that, last week i forgot to take out the trash and i was banned from fun lol

Not so much my dad. I am SO happy to have a dad that is into the stuff i like

There are these new Disney themed Eee PCs coming out, I read an article about them on Engadget, those might cater to a child, there's a dark blue one and a pink one for guys and girls respectively. Just a thought, they're chalked up to sell for 350 dollars. http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/disney-netpal-hands-on-with-video/
After reading the OP I realize this might not be the greatest choice, haha, that's my bad. Functional desktops / laptops are definitely around though, a website like www.dealspl.us is a great place to find sub 350 dollar desktop deals.

Back
Top Bottom