Personally I don't care what size they are. I only find it annoying when you have different sized ones scattered around the forum.

Out of control?!? Are you serious, David? You're the admin- you're always in control.

I don't see a problem with any avatar as long as it doesn't break the page size.

Besides I like my new avatar. xD

wwfb.gif

I think the more important issue that was brought up here, is that CF needs to be dusted off and updated a bit. Kinda getting to be like a vintage Vega...when everyone's driving new and improved stuff. I agree that that is why we probably don't have as many new members. It was actually by luck that I'm still here. I'm all for a "nicer" looking forum...I actually started off at Tom's Hardware and Bleeping Computer the same time I started here, but the people at Tom's Hardware bit**ed me out of that forum, and BC people took forever to reply. And when it was still up, I think I almost went to CF.com, instead of here are CF.org. It was kinda luck. Glad I did stick around though.

EDIT: And as for the avatar thing, It'd be nice if we could all have 100x100 :D But I think that should be the limit.

What does everyone think about a 100x100 limit
That's OK I guess. I really don't have a problem with the way they are now.

Well... we are the first search result on google, so it is not a lack of exposure. The reason why so few people stay is that there isn't enough glamor, there isn't enough pretty stuff to attract people.

Look at other computer technology forums:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

http://www.overclock.net/

I can show many more.

A technology forum should be up to date. In today's world, up to date means that it has to look technologically advanced as well.
Those two examples show the reasons why I like this forum. I don't care for the pics and crap in the sigs. There's just too much crap to have to wade through just to read a few replys.

**Commence everyone jumping in to agree with Thelis**
Not me. ;)

That is their own personal decision. I thought that mods were aware that we are allowed larger avatars. I, for one, know that vbulletin allows moderators to set un-limited avatars for anyone, including themselves.
This is news to me. I didn't know we could circumvent the forum standards and have over-sized avatars.

Don't worry, mine's staying the way it is.

I think this thread has gotten out of control. You can't honestly tell me that we are all getting our panties into a bunch over an avatar. 100x100 sounds fine but isn't necessary. The avatar is an expression of character and is partially essential to the forum. People can read your general demeanor by your avatar. You wouldn't normally take me seriously because of the Pedo-Bear in my avatar, would you? It's a part of the forum, but not serious enough for us all to lose our "community" over it. I think that as long as your avatar does not "DISRUPT" the vB layout, it's alright. That's just my opinion and I would wait for the criticism from a few select people, but...I'm very tired and could care less. So go ahead, point out where I'm wrong and how much Thelis' avatar has ruined your life.

Everyone is going to criticize the following comment, but I will go ahead and state it:

Avatar sizes should be allowed up to the width of the column. The height, however, should be limited. Why? A wide avatar limited by the column's width will never disrupt vB layout while a tall avatar could cause loss of space. I think maximizing the size of avatars allows users much more freedom when putting up pictures. Their avatars can be more descriptive and won't make other users have to squint at it to read what is inside. Unfortunately, this forum will never operate under such conditions, so I hope that the 100x100 does get implemented. And, if you couldn't tell by my stance, I am fine with Thelis' avatar so long the height does not cause an absurd amount of wasted space between replies and so long the width does not create uneven "user info columns".

edit: Moments after posting this comment a realized that in order for a descriptive image of higher dimensions, users would need an increased in memory size allowed. I don't know for sure, but if your pictures are heavier it would seem to me that the pages would load up slower for those without the privilege of high speed internet. With this in mind, I void my earlier argument of self-expression.

I reckon a page full of gif's the size of Thellis's avatar would drive me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom