Hot Temps

Whyfly??

Daemon Poster
This is on my old computer, just a stock computer with a 9400GT. (Spare the comments :D)
Well I'm not sure but I think my temperatures are a little over the top for my components.
Especially my GPU.

untitled.jpg

If you can't see I'll post numbers.
Fan1 1149 RPM

GPU: 71C
CPU: 52C
Ambiet: 47C
Remote:44C
HD0: 48C
Temp1: 40C
Core: 49C
Core: 71C
Ambient: 0C

Hmm, is your case expelling air properly? Looks like the relatively high temps are due to the inside of your case being hot in general. How many fans have you got pushing air out the case, and where abouts are they? Is it nice and tidy (good airflow) inside?

Hmm, is your case expelling air properly? Looks like the relatively high temps are due to the inside of your case being hot in general. How many fans have you got pushing air out the case, and where abouts are they? Is it nice and tidy (good airflow) inside?

Well, I have to admit I haven't kept it the best.
This is just a "Regular" Gateway

My Machine

And it is not dusty inside, I have it opened up every once in a while and I get rid of dust.
The fan is my problem.

A desk

Look on the desk, and look where the computer is, that is how mine is, and the desk is right against the wall.
I figure that is the problem, but not sure.

That's probably the problem (the desk). Take it out and run it outside the desk and check your temps. We just got a desk with an enclosure for the tower like that for my parents and I'm making them keep the computer outside because even with a ventilation fan, it was absolutely cooking it. The E6420 I have in their computer was running at about 50*C compared to 30*C and below when it wasn't in their. It's because it's only recirculating the already hot air in that small space. Take it out and see if it helps.

Well, I have to admit I haven't kept it the best.
This is just a "Regular" Gateway

My Machine

And it is not dusty inside, I have it opened up every once in a while and I get rid of dust.
The fan is my problem.

A desk

Look on the desk, and look where the computer is, that is how mine is, and the desk is right against the wall.
I figure that is the problem, but not sure.

Let it breathe.

Make sure there's ventilation in the back of the desk where the tower is situated.

A couple of holes in the top and bottom area, at the rear, of the desk should help.

EDIT:

Very elegant looking desk BTW

That's probably the problem (the desk). Take it out and run it outside the desk and check your temps. We just got a desk with an enclosure for the tower like that for my parents and I'm making them keep the computer outside because even with a ventilation fan, it was absolutely cooking it. The E6420 I have in their computer was running at about 50*C compared to 30*C and below when it wasn't in their. It's because it's only recirculating the already hot air in that small space. Take it out and see if it helps.

I'll take it out and report.

Sounds good. Sometimes it's just the easy things. :) ;)

OK I took it out, dusted it out etc. etc.

So these are the speeds just when I turn it on.
Everything is OK besides Core and GPU.

57C for GPU
41C For CPU
Temp1 40C
And core is 58C
So how do I lower those?

It doesn't have any fans pushing out, just a big fan up front sucking in.
I am going to get a fan to put in the back to suck out so it makes nice airflow.

I have 1 foot behind the back so that the heat can escape, is that enough?

OK I took it out, dusted it out etc. etc.

So these are the speeds just when I turn it on.
Everything is OK besides Core and GPU.

57C for GPU
41C For CPU
Temp1 40C
And core is 58C
So how do I lower those?

It doesn't have any fans pushing out, just a big fan up front sucking in.
I am going to get a fan to put in the back to suck out so it makes nice airflow.

I have 1 foot behind the back so that the heat can escape, is that enough?

You could do the following:
*Reapply thermal paste to the CPU
*Take that front intake fan and make it an exhaust fan until you get a 2nd fan
*Never put it in that desk again
*Put an exterior fan (like an actual fan you plug into the wall socket) on the the computer with the case side off

You could do the following:
*Reapply thermal paste to the CPU
*Take that front intake fan and make it an exhaust fan until you get a 2nd fan
*Never put it in that desk again
*Put an exterior fan (like an actual fan you plug into the wall socket) on the the computer with the case side off

Ok well I am going to get a second fan tomorrow, I don't know about the exterior fan :D
It is hot in my house though, like almost 80 so that's a huge factor too.
Here are temps after 25 minutes of Battlefield 2 demo maxed out.

untitled-1.jpg

The temperatures go down really quick after so I think the biggest part is the heat inside the home, tomorrow I will do a quick check in the morning when it's cool inside.

Back
Top Bottom