Upgrading Questions (PSU mostly; a few GPU questions, too)

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alrighty. So, I'm off to college in about 2 months, and I was thinking of upgrading my PSU. I'm already going to need one in the HTPC I'm piecing together (which some of you may know from my "build my own case" thread in the social lounge), so I figure I'll just throw my old one (in siggy) in that and get me a nice new one. It needs to be under a hundred bucks, but I AM willing to spend $100. I preferably would like to, in the future, be able to SLI or CF something, but I'm not looking to upgrade my MB right yet (I'll just do a complete rebuild when that time comes) in order to CF (my MB only does SLI). So, I was thinking, I might as well just get a good PSU now and not have to upgrade that later, since the pricing on PSUs seems to stand pretty steady.

I'm really wanting a quality unit. I've been looking at Corsair and PC P&C and they look fantastic. I would REALLY like one with just one single large rail. From what I have read, they tend to do load balancing much better than PSUs with 2+ rails. So this PSU has to have enough "umph" to power 2 cards in SLI/CF *just in case* I do that in the future. I'm assuming 650W+. Also, I'd like it to be modular, but from what I'm seeing on Newegg, to get modular on an active PFC, single rail, 80 plus certified PSU, I'm looking at adding another $50 to the price tag, and I'm not sure that's worth it. So yes, this is what I want:

*80 Plus Certified (A must. It HAS to be. I'm trying to go green and it starts with the little things like this)
*Active PFC
*SLI/CF Certified/Ready (Doesn't need to be both...either/or is fine..it usually means it's good to go either way)
*650W+
*Single large 12V rail (40A+??)
*Preferably not OCZ (even though I love them to death!) or Rosewill. (I don't think they have any single rail units anyways)
*Modular is NOT a MUST. It'd be great though.
*$100 or under

Share any personal experiences you have. Right now, I'm looking at these units. Tell me what is overboard, and what isn't. I know I won't need more than 750W though.

I think these will be too small:
Corsair 520W Modular

Corsair 550W

Here's what I've liked:
Corsair 650W (this was JUST--like last night--$90 with a $10 rebate. Now it's $100 with a $20. Not a big deal)

Corsair 750W
(this was JUST--again, last night--$120 with a $20 rebate I believe, now it's $110 with no rebate hassle which is worth the extra $10 IMHO; I really like this one)

PC Power and Cooling 750W (Awesome dude! This just dropped from $100 last night to $85. There's no free shipping, but there wasn't before either. I like mid-month price drops :D)

However, THIS is my ideal PSU. However, it's also $55 more because it's modular. However, it's also 80 Plus SILVER certified which really floats my boat. Can anyone calculate how long it would take to make up that $55 difference running 24/7 over the other Corsair 750W? If it's under 2 years or even 3, I would def. splurge and get this baby. I also must add that it's got a whopping 7 year warranty! That's AMAZING!

(A side note. I think I'm going to pick up a couple of these to have on hand/sell for my business. $30 bucks for this!? Awesome deal. I'll just order one off of a diff. account and sent it to my grandma and grandpa to get the rebates!)

Thanks to anyone who reads my book-of-a-posts. I'm long winded. :eek:

I say get the PC Power and Cooling

It is way cheaper and it has a 5 year warrenty (less, but still good)

It's peak is even 825 watts

If I were you, I would go with the Corsair 520 Watt or the PC Power & Cooling 750 Watt. They are both powerful and economical units and will supply you with plenty of power.

I would REALLY like one with just one single large rail. From what I have read, they tend to do load balancing much better than PSUs with 2+ rails.
Unless you're pumping 2V into a leaky AMD TWKR, or running tri-SLI with three GTX 280s under liquid nitrogen, you are NEVER going to overload one of the rails of a good quality multi-rail PSU. PSUs with multiple rails will almost always have dedicated rails for the CPU and GPUs.

Another point I would like to make is make sure you get something with all the connectors you need. Make sure you look for that PCI-E 6+2 pin (or two), because you want to avoid adaptors. The reason being the adaptor will often draw power from a rail that is maybe already running other components. Although you are still very unlikely to overload the rail, it's nice to have all the connectors in the right place.

TBH I can't believe you haven't ordered the PCP&C 750W yet. PCP&C are considered to be a member of the top tier of PSU manufacturers, they don't skimp on anything, hopefully OCZ don't change this. A little research tells me that that particular 750W model was developped before OCZ had any chance to intervene, I would be jumping all over it TBH, I don't really go for non modular PSUs, but that is such a great deal.

EDIT: If you really want something modular, consider this Xigmatek 650W (There's a 750W too if you want). Made by CWT, the same manufacturer as the Corsair TX line.

Well, by now every one here knows that I'm PC power and cooling all the way, but...

You have to admit that is a killer price on the PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W! If you are on a tight budget that makes this especially attractive.

Anyway, the decision is yours, but you know what I like! :rolleyes:

Yea, the PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W is the best deal of the bunch. As worshipme pointed out, it's a top tier unit and is one of the best available.

Well, I think you've sold me on the PC P&C. I wish it was modular, but my case(s) is big enough to make due. I couldn't believe how cheap (price, of course. I know they are amazing quality!) it was compared to the others either. It'll take a little more cable management, but that's okay. I'll probably order tonight with a few other things I have on my list. Thanks all. If anything changes, I'll let you know.

Haha. Yes, and I realized that since it's not Corsair, I can still do a rebate and get that 400W to sell or use in another system :D

Edit:

Hold the phone. They put the rebate back no the 750W corsair. It's now only $100 with FREE shipping. I have to pay shipping on the PC P&C and it comes out to $96. Which should I get? I must say I like that all the connectors are black on the Corsair...

Well, it really boils down to which one has the features you like best. They are both high quality units. If you're willing to wait on the rebate and like the connector colors better, get the Corsair.

Personally, I would get the PC P&C is it's a bit cheaper and I don't like the hassle of having deal with a rebate.

Back
Top Bottom