Car Thread!

Too bad they stopped making Cherokee's. They were supposedly taken over by the Liberty which IMO is a total fail.

The Jeep Cherokee was bad for chasing for multiple reasons. Loose handling on the highway, horid highway mileage, front/rear end's going out and transmission going out amongst other issues. If I had a had a Cherokee classic, like an '01 Cherokee, it'd be great for chasing, but my '90 was becoming a money pit.

This trailblazer will be used for first response once I'm 18 in december, so it'll be ran pretty rough, but it only has 70k on it, so it's got quite a bit of life left.

I agree completely Holysky. For some reason chrysler has it stuck in their head they are making luxury jeeps now, they need to get that thought out.

Well started a new project on my 84 Camaro Z-28. Since the last rebuild on the engine 2 years ago, a valve didn't seal and I pinpointed it to be a valve guide. I ended up ordering a set of heads that are ported and polished for under $500 for the pair. They are used, but specifically for my block's model. This means it'll have all the correct bracket mounting placements so it won't be a PITA to install. Also ordered new valve springs since the others didn't get replaced the first time around since I couldn't find the right size anywhere. Hopefully I'll get this beast up and running soon. While the engine didn't need to be pulled, I'm going to pull it anyways so that I can paint the engine compartment black like it should've been from the get-go. This way, it won't matter what I paint the rest of the car later on...black'll go with anything. I'll try and keep you updated.

I regularly see Jeeps with over 200k some over 300k, the I6's are VERY strong engines. However, I will say the AW4 tranny's chrysler used in the Jeeps, SUCK.

Well my moms 96 Grand Voyager is still runing. It just needs to get the manifold replaced right now cause it has a small leak.

I regularly see Jeeps with over 200k some over 300k, the I6's are VERY strong engines. However, I will say the AW4 tranny's chrysler used in the Jeeps, SUCK.
Yeah, I've heard in jeeps, the trannys and axles are pretty weak. Dana 27 carriers right?

Well started a new project on my 84 Camaro Z-28. Since the last rebuild on the engine 2 years ago, a valve didn't seal and I pinpointed it to be a valve guide. I ended up ordering a set of heads that are ported and polished for under $500 for the pair. They are used, but specifically for my block's model. This means it'll have all the correct bracket mounting placements so it won't be a PITA to install. Also ordered new valve springs since the others didn't get replaced the first time around since I couldn't find the right size anywhere. Hopefully I'll get this beast up and running soon. While the engine didn't need to be pulled, I'm going to pull it anyways so that I can paint the engine compartment black like it should've been from the get-go. This way, it won't matter what I paint the rest of the car later on...black'll go with anything. I'll try and keep you updated.
Stock Iron heads? $500 is a bit pricey. I got my heads free and ported them myself. I see a lot of stock Iron heads ported and polished going for about $100-$200 for Ford small blocks. A set of GT40 heads run about $250-400. And they are about as good as aluminum heads. A set of like AFR165 run about $1000 I think. And they are MUCH better then any Iron heads.

Do they have a really good port job done to them?

Too bad they stopped making Cherokee's. They were supposedly taken over by the Liberty which IMO is a total fail.
IFS/IRS FTL!!!!.... It is IFS at least right?

Stock Iron heads? $500 is a bit pricey. I got my heads free and ported them myself. I see a lot of stock Iron heads ported and polished going for about $100-$200 for Ford small blocks. A set of GT40 heads run about $250-400. And they are about as good as aluminum heads. A set of like AFR165 run about $1000 I think. And they are MUCH better then any Iron heads.

Do they have a really good port job done to them?

I have nothing to do a port and polish and valve grind myself, so that's why we (me and my dad) went this route. And yes, they are the stock cast iron heads. I think if I had a 350, I could've found them cheaper since that's a more popular motor, but being that I've got a 305, it was tougher to find. I would've loved some aluminum ones, but I probably would of only wanted Trick Flows...which are probably like $750-$1000 ea. Anyways, these will be just fine for a while. They are in great condition and look better than our stock ones. The reason we didn't take our stock ones to anyone for the port and polish and valve grind was because no one within any reasonable distance from here does it for less than $300-400...so it was cheaper just getting a new pair. But they'll be great now...they've got all new internal stuff and all that, so...

Motor needed to come out anyways since I'm painting inside that...should be fun...NOT. Then I'm also going to get me some truck bed liner (paint on) and apply it to the underside of the body since the stock coating is pretty much gone.

Back
Top Bottom