1st time Ubuntu Server/Desktop User

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Ok. This will be my first jump out of Windows and into Ubuntu. I have a desktop that is running 8.10 and now I am setting up a Virtual Server that will run 9.04 (server version). I work for a school system (the one and only IT guy) and I am sure I'm going to have questions and concerns and comments and I am going to come back here with them. If you have any tips for starting off let me know. I would like to be able to join both of them to {don't hate me} my Windows domain at some point. Or possiblely be able to use the Ubuntu Virtual Server and test it as "domain controller" for some of my Windows computers. It would be cool if we could move to Ubuntu and remove the cost of Windows from our budget (which is hurting pretty bad right now).

I was unable to install Ubuntu Server onto my Virtural Server. It would look like it was going to install, and it would run through some settings, but it wouldn't get anywhere after that...any ideas on what I might be doing or need to do to get it working?

Hi,

You shouldn't need to install anything virtually. You just need to install the packages for the software that you want. What server are you trying to install first? I am guessing that it is apache or something similar.

Cheers!

I have Microsoft Virtual Server running on one of my other servers. I want to install it with Ubuntu 9.04. I load the iso into Virtual Server and then it startst the install. It firsts asks me for the language, so I pick English. Then it has a config screen. It will let me set up some settings and when I'm ready I hit 'install'. It goes to another screen that has a bunch of text scrolling down it, like all the files its installing. It get to the bottom of these, and it freezes there. I don't know why it freezes? I try again today and post some screenshots.

Hi,

Also, if you tell me what the last thing that scrolls down is that would be great.

Cheers!

I had the exact same problem. Does it just spit out gibberish then freeze almost as soon as you choose the language options and hit next?

Yeah, took me a while to figure it out too. When you're on the startup screen, use the Advanced Boot Options bit and add this:

ro quiet noreplace-paravirt vga=791

(you'll need to scroll onto the end to do this. Then just hit enter to start it up and it should be fine. The "ro" bit might already be there though.

It's some kind of weird quirk in Virtual PC that causes this. I don't fully understand it.

Thats sounds like the issue. I'll give that a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom