Transmission problems?

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Or clutch problems? Not sure but here's whats happening:

I go to shift to third gear from second, around 20 to 30 MPH, and it refuses to go into third gear. I have to shift into fourth or even fifth for a few seconds and then back down to third sometimes. I've noticed I have had some trouble with third gear recently, it feels like there is less power in third gear than there should be. There used to be quite a bit of power in third gear.

I also have trouble downshifting into first. I only try to do this at a complete stop, but it still gives me trouble. It won't "slide" into gear like it normally should.

These problems are recent. I used to be able to shift gears effortlessly.

I'm driving a 1999 Ford F-150 XL with a 4.2L V6 engine and in case you haven't guessed, a manual transmission.

Here's my personal gear progression, tell me if you think it needs improvement:
0 to about 8 - First
8 -20 - Second
20 - 35 -Third
35 -50 - Fourth
50 - 140 (the top speed of my truck, only have had it there once for a few seconds) - Fifth

Of course this progression changes from time to time.

Check the clutch cable.

If the clutch cable is good and the clutch operation positive then i'd say look at the synchromesh system.

If the synchromesh gears are worn then you loose the smooth engagement of gears.

And it will mean stripping the gearbox.

Try double-de clutching - clutch in, neutral, clutch out, blip the throttle, clutch in, engage gear, clutch out. If this helps changing gears then its definitely worn synchromesh gears.

Sounds more like a gearbox issue than a clutch issue to me, if it was a clutch cable / clutch problem I doubt the problem would be gear specific.

was it grinding before it was doing this? my best opinion is its the synchronizer.. which is what helps the gear move up to speed pretty much

Try double-de clutching - clutch in, neutral, clutch out, blip the throttle, clutch in, engage gear, clutch out. If this helps changing gears then its definitely worn synchromesh gears.

Yeah sounds like the synchromesh to me

I tried the double de-clutching and that didn't help any. I noticed earlier, however, that there is A LOT more left to right play with the shifter in third gear than there is in any other gear. I also did an experiment and skipped third completely and my truck TOOK OFF as if fourth gear was supposed to be next in the gear progression. Odd.

I also found out something about my truck in an interesting way. I got pulled over earlier and when the police officer ran the registration/ title, it came back as to being in my name. I always thought the truck was in my mom's name. This is actually quite nice. I also have it in writing, so my mom is going to have a hard time trying to convince me otherwise. I am 18, so I am pretty sure this is legal.

My dad used to have a Ford BroncoII that was a manual. When the clutch wore out, he could find a "sweet spot" where he could still shift without even touching the clutch. Try that and see if you can get it to ship at a "sweet spot". That might let you know if it's a gear issue or linkage/clutch or other issue. If you can shift from 1 to 2 with no issue but not from 2 to 3 (this all with no clutch, btw), then I would say it isn't a clutch issue. But, I'm remembering all of this from when I was like 10, so...

I would also try a Ford truck forum, see if they can help you out maybe... but I think these guys are right about the synchros. But usually if it happens to one person, it happens to a few, so check a Ford forum.

Back
Top Bottom