What Computer for Children?

Netbooks are not suitable as your primary computer. There's simply too many limitations.

I haven't been limited by my netbook at all in any way.
What do you mean?

Netbooks are devices designed purposely for the Internet, to communicate, learn, and view information. They have in common a compact form factor of seven to ten inches, are light-weight, feature comparatively longer battery life than notebooks, and are less dependent on a battery charger during the day. They are easily portable and can be easily moved from one place to another place. They may contain more than one wireless method to connect to the Internet.

Notebooks are more multiple-purpose computers in a form factor of about ten inches and up. Notebooks can create content and handle heavy multi-tasking loads with many applications running at once. They can view, create, and edit high-definition video content and run intensive programs like computer aided engineering and mathematical modeling.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/12684.aspx

Yeah, that's the original purpose of them, but a 1.6 GHz atom does an excellent job for any other everyday job.

I can even run most open source games on mine.

That's great, but they aren't meant to be your primary computer. They're crippeled on purpose in order to achieve that low price point.

Besides the lack of an optical drive, I don't exactly see how they are crippled hardwarewise.
Kids really won't need a huge screen, and 9" really ends up being a lot more than you would think.

Besides the lack of an optical drive, I don't exactly see how they are crippled hardwarewise.
Kids really won't need a huge screen, and 9" really ends up being a lot more than you would think.

The screen, keyboard, touch pad, connectivity, and expandability. Netbooks weren't designed to be your primary computer. They were built as a cheap, portable computer meant to compliment your primary desktop/notebook.

Yeah, that is true, but it is for kids who have never owned a computer before.

I'll put it this way. Name one thing kids need to do for school that a netbook won't be able to handle.

Back
Top Bottom