GUIDE: Lapping

wait, but ure lapping the top of the processor, and the bottom, of the heatsink??

Yes, the idea is to remove imperfections so that there is as little gap between the CPU and the Heat sink as possible. That promotes better thermal conduction. You want both surfaces totally and completely flat.

It's also to make sure the bases of the heatsink and CPU are both flat. Like in the case of the TRUE, there are a few degrees gain to be had when lapping it because the base sucks.

This should be a sticky.

Has anyone lapped a Xiggy dark knight? What is the temp difference before and after? I wonder how much it may help with the direct contact heat pipes.

Has anyone lapped a Xiggy dark knight? What is the temp difference before and after? I wonder how much it may help with the direct contact heat pipes.
I lapped an OCZ Vendetta, not much change.

I lapped an OCZ Vendetta, not much change.

When the time comes for me to really crank up my system (when it starts being "old"), I'll lap my e8400 and my Xiggy and let everyone know the results. That'll be a ways down the road though. I might lap the stock intel ones I've got in my parent's and grandparent's computers. Ain't got nothing better to do :p

do you still put thermal paste on it?

YES! Don't ever think you don't need that. There will always be microscopic scratches and ridges. However, you will need less TIM than normal. I think I addressed this above if you would read through the posts...

Back
Top Bottom