Windows recovery disc freezes.........

Mr.T

Beta member
Ow do.....I need help......please !!

A few weeks ago I thought I'd give the PC a good clear up.After putting the Windows XP Home sp1 recovery disc back in everything was fine for a few days until I turned it on and no icons or taskbar appeared on the desktop.I could'nt shut it down so after 20 mins of waiting for them to appear I flicked the off switch at the back.This happened another three times so I put the recovery disc back in.
All went well until the part where it says "installation will be complete in X minutes" with the green progress bar underneath.The bar froze at 32 mins and after waiting for an hour I had to flick the off switch again.I've put the disc back in twice since but all it does is start installation where it left off and then freeze at 32 mins again.
Due to the fact that the PC is in limbo at the moment the only technical info I can give is that it's a 80GB Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 600 with an AMD Athlon xp 1700 and a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

Has anyone any idea what could be wrong ?
Due to me being thick I hav'nt a clue !!
Many thanks in advance.

Are you installing windows over the top of itself or have you reformatted and started afresh?

Try polishing your recovery disk (may have a scratch or something) and starting all over from the beginning.

If you need a new recovery disc, I can mail you a Windows XP Pro. It doesn't have any service packs so you have to download them from Windows update. If you want one, PM me your address and I will mail it.

Thanks for the replies.
The disc has only ever been used three times but it was cleaned before I started as was the DVD drive.
I originally put Windows on top of itself as I've done in the past as recommended in the user manual that came with the PC.
This is as far as the installation will go (this image is off the net....mine sticks at 32 mins)............

windows-xp-install.jpg

Even though the the programme freezes the green dots at the bottom right still continue to flash.
Is there any way to get rid of the partly installed programme such as at the black Windows Setup screen when the PC is first switced on ?
Or will I be having to look for a new hard drive ?
I've never really had any problems before so all this jiggery pokery's all new to me !!

Back
Top Bottom