How should I go about setting this up?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
I've never had to deal with home networks before. Closest thing ive ever had to do was set up Internet Connection Sharing. :eek:

I have a pair of laptops, both on a WiFi signal. I want to set up printer sharing on those two. The thing is, theres another computer using the wireless signal that i don't want to use the printer. Is it possible to do this wirelessly, or do I have to buy about 50 feet of crossover cable to hook them together?

First, is the printer connected to one of the laptops with a USB cable? Or how do you plan on connecting to the printer?

Second, as long as the 2 laptops are on the same network, then you will be able to do printer sharing.

Third, there's no way to "prevent" the 3rd from using it, but if you don't connect the computer to it, and the user of that computer doesn't know how to or that the printer is shared in the first place then it should be fine.

Answer some of these questions for me, and I can give you more detailed instructions on actually setting up the sharing. Or let me know if that is not how you want it to work.

surely if the box that says share printer isnt ticked than the 3rd computer won't be seen by the other 2 computers?

What kind of printer are you trying to set up? There are many ways to set this up depending on the printer model and available printer interfaces. You might not even need to configure sharing at all if the printer can print via Standard TCP/IP Port. In this case, depending on the printer model, you may be able to use IP filtering or username/password type security to exclude the third PC.

Yeah the printer's connected through USB. It's a Canon MP160. Yes both printers are on the same network. The reason I want only the two laptops to be able to see its a shared printer is that I'm using our WiFi signal to network on both computers. I'm worried that if anyone, say, parked out front stealing signal to use Internet could theroriticaly connect to MY printer.

Thanks for the responses.

Put a firewall on the rig that has the printers on it. Set the firewall to just allow the two laptops.
Or you could get the network modules that interface the printers to your router. Then by setting up MAC filtering you could have just the systems in your network use the printers.
I'd like to point out that some one that makes it to your printer that is shared through usb to other systems on your network is going to cause you grief in other ways. I personally wouldn't bother with the printer. I'd be going after your credit cards and banking information. Your concern over abusing your printer is minor and most likely would not happen.

Yeah the printer's connected through USB. It's a Canon MP160. Yes both printers are on the same network. The reason I want only the two laptops to be able to see its a shared printer is that I'm using our WiFi signal to network on both computers. I'm worried that if anyone, say, parked out front stealing signal to use Internet could theroriticaly connect to MY printer.

Thanks for the responses.

Have you used this printer as a shared network device previously? Some USB printers don't play nice with network sharing...

No I just got the printer a little while ago and havnt had the chance to network it. I will try the above sugestions and see if they work, if not well I guess I wont worry about it, lol. Take a drive through my town, almost every WiFi network signal is unlocked :p

How's things going? Did you get this figured out?

You could set up the wireless with security so that people in the driveway/street can't connect.

Back
Top Bottom