need new DDR3 help please???

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
i currently have 3x2gb of OCZ gold xtc triple channel 1333MHz PC10600 in my rig as shown in my sig below.

i'd like to stick with OCZ as i really like their RAM.
my question is which type should i get now???? want to add another triple channel (6gb) but am not sure if i should get the...

GOLD
PLATINUM
BLADE
REAPER

configuration. and should i aim for 1600MHz, 1866MHz, 2000MHz and what about the PC3-12800, PC3-15000, PC3-16000????

i'm not really interested in over clocking my RAM, although i soon will OC my 920 :)

any suggestions? and which of the configurations can my system use? i'd hate to buy something my RIG can't make use of...

I would say Gold or Platinum would be the best to aim for because they're just the basic stuff and you can avoid spending money you probable don't need to.

And as for speed, if you get 1600 MHz or higher, you're just wasting money. The reason is that with RAM, if you already have RAM that runs at a slower speed, when you add higher speed RAM, it will "de-clock" itself to match the speed of the slower RAM already in your system.

good advice, thanks!

and is there REALLY that much of a difference in speed between 1333MHz and lets say 2000MHz?

good advice, thanks!

and is there REALLY that much of a difference in speed between 1333MHz and lets say 2000MHz?

You're welcome.

And actually, the difference is actually pretty significant if your CPU goes that fast. But you have a Core i7 so you would lose approx 700 MHz of speed if you got the 2000 MHz since you currently run with 1333 MHz.

i currently have 3x2gb of OCZ gold xtc triple channel 1333MHz PC10600 in my rig as shown in my sig below.

i'd like to stick with OCZ as i really like their RAM.
my question is which type should i get now???? want to add another triple channel (6gb) but am not sure if i should get the...

GOLD
PLATINUM
BLADE
REAPER

configuration. and should i aim for 1600MHz, 1866MHz, 2000MHz and what about the PC3-12800, PC3-15000, PC3-16000????

i'm not really interested in over clocking my RAM, although i soon will OC my 920 :)

any suggestions? and which of the configurations can my system use? i'd hate to buy something my RIG can't make use of...

Why do you need more RAM?? If you are that intent on spending money, just toss out/sell your 1333 and buy some 1600-2000

u can never have enough RAM buddy :)
I doubt you'll ever use that RAM buddy ;)

Calm down, children.

To be unbiased in this debate, I'll say this. If you are going to have a lot of RAM-intensive tasks open at once, then yes, 12GB of RAM would be fine. For instance, if you want the entire Adobe CS4 collection open, then 12GB would be handy. On the other hand, if you don't do any editing, then yes, anything more than 6GB is pretty pointless.

Yes and i remember when people were saying that you would never use all 10GB on a HDD about what 8 years ago?

Lol I surely was not one of them.

And I don't mean to say that no one could utilize that much RAM, I happen to be one of those people that have 5 applications running through CS4(PS, Flash, Illustrator, DW, FW) usually a game or two in the background, amongst various other projects (many renders open simotaniously as well) With that said, I am still running just dandy on 3x2 gb 1600 RAM

So I wasn't looking to start a pissing match, put your epeens away :p

<3!!

If you've got the cash to burn, fudge(?) it, go with 12 gb's, one day, you may need it.

Back
Top Bottom