GUIDE: Lapping

Yeah, but sometimes I get too excited and dont want to wait for replies, so I end up screwing it up. Like installing my first AMD CPU ($90), I broke a pin and it messed up the memory controller. But that did teach me a lesson.

How do you keep the surface that you are lapping completely flat. The reflection of the $10 bill looks like the surface is curved at the edges.

Find a nice flat counter-top in your house, stretch the sanding paper out, and tape it so it is as flat as the surface beneath it.

As for the dollar bill, it wasn't straight to start. But the design of the stock HS had curved edges to start. Plus it probably didn't help that I power sanded it xD.

I know watchmakers use a special jig to hold the part that they are polishing to insure that the surface is perfectly flat. I was wondering if it is common practice to use some sort of jig to hold the CPU straight while lapping it.

Noice :D. Credits to you as well, as you were the primary inspiration for the guide. You've overclocked that thing in ways I can't believe.

so pretty much ure shaving of the metal on top of the processor, and on the bottom of the heatsink so the processor is cooled better? how do u get the mirror finish, and why does it amtter if you do??

so pretty much ure shaving of the metal on top of the processor, and on the bottom of the heatsink so the processor is cooled better? how do u get the mirror finish, and why does it amtter if you do??

No. I mean, yes in a way. You are taking off some metal, but you aren't doing it to take off metal...that's not the true point. You are narrowing the microscopic dips in the metal so that more of the surface area is available. More surface area equals better metal to metal contact (less TIM used; it's better to have metal touching metal than metal touching the TIM that's touching metal on the other component). And, like I said, a mirror finish doesn't matter. You are looking to take out the microscopic ridges and grooves, not make it shiny. However, by lapping, if you do it right, you usually get a slightly mirrored finish. So it's more of a result from lapping than the goal of lapping...get it?

Back
Top Bottom