Windows 7 fresh install Questions......

apples0_17

Baseband Member
Hi,

So I'm downloading Windows 7 and going to do a fresh install.
Currently using XP Home on a AMD 64 x2 +4600 cpu

1. I selected the 64bit download version, this is right?
2. Does a fresh install wipe my hard drive of all information. As in, will it format it all?
3. What is the expected cost of the most basic version of Windows 7?
4. If I use Windows 7 will I have time to buy it before my computer gets shut down?
5. Is the general thoughts that W7 is faster than XP?
6. Because my XP is 32bit and I'm trying 64 bit W7 will I notice a better speed increase?

Peter

1. Yes, 64-bit is the preferred version
2. Yes, it will completely format and overwrite any info on the drive.
3. W7 Premium $119, W7 Pro $199, W7 Ultimate $219.
4. Yes, the release candidate is good until June 1, 2010
5. Don't know if it's faster than XP, but it does perform better than Vista.
6. I really can't answer that.

Most everything you need to know about it is available from here: Windows 7 Release Candidate

Thanks for your reply,

So any ideas how I can backup all my emails....
I think just about everything else is just a matter of copy and paste to the portable hard drive.

Oh and the version that is downloading is the Ultimate version, the most expensive one, lol.

If I buy W7 later on will I need to do a fresh install again? I will not want the top of the range Windows 7 Ultimate rather just the basic type one.

going from windows xp to windows 7 i think will decrease speed unless you have a rig fast enough to run it as fast as xp. This is a heavier os and will take more to run. XP was a lot lighter so that is a nice os to run and runs fast. I am hoping 7 is around as fast at xp

Yup, if you install the release candidate, you will need to do a clean install if you buy the final version.

What email client are you using?

Back
Top Bottom