Anyone know how to bypass the time limit on Mega Video?

Yeah ok so im a bit naughty trying to bypass it but im just really... ummm.. yeah ok i admit it im just way too obsessed with Supernatural and yeah ok, too cheap to pay for the site, which is kinda illegal in itself anyway isnt it?

Anyway, Im actually absolutely clueless about computers n stuff so I have no idea what VPN or SSH Tunneling are or how to use them, so i guess im kinda screwed here.. i'll prob just go get the DVDs LOL. But if anyone is patient enough to explain to a computer-idiot how the VPN or SSH Tunneling works or another way to bypass the MV time limit, it would be freaking awesome

You'll need a Shell account of some description to do that. They can be pretty cheap (Like $2 a month?). Google them...

Basically, you use a client on your PC called PuTTY, and tunnel port 80 over port 8080... You then use a program called Proxifier that will make every application on your computer use port 8080, so it tunnels all of your traffic THROUGH your server, which has a different IP.

Of course, this IP will have the same restrictions as your computer's IP, so you would need to cycle between using YOUR IP address, and your Servers IP address.

I personally use my VPS and PuTTY/SSH to watch Hulu in the UK - It's pretty smooth.

Also: Some ISP's (Allthough not many...) Let you have a block of IP addresses. I personally have 8, which means I can change my IP from one to another, which get's around their block.

j03 - Thanks for all that! It looks way too complicated for me tho.. LOL I was just hoping someone would tell me to delete a couple of cookies or like change some internet explorer settings or something..

Think I might just have to go get the DVD.. lol

Would you mind posting a link to the servers you use for SSH/VPN J03?

I dont use VPN myself (SSH tunnelling all the way, immensely complex VPN set-ups FTL!), but I got an INSANE deal on a VPS. I will grab the link for you now, if I can find it...

http://2host.com/wht.php

It's hosted on a dual quad Xeon machine, you get 10GB HDD space and 512MB ram, along with 300GB bandwidth. For $5 a month.

You could also get a Shell account from somewhere like Santrex, but IMO for an extra $2-3 a month you should get a VPS. You get complete control.

Bare in mind, that when you are streaming Hulu through it, the VPS is downloading from the Hulu servers, and then UPLOADING to you, so it uses twice the bandwidth.

I wouldnt really reccomend you getting a VPS for Megavideo, because it only delays the inevitable. But if your outside the US and want to take advantage of sites like Hulu, then a $5/m VPS is well worth the money!

I chose to run Debian 5 on mine, since it's similar to Ubuntu. CentOS came with it by default - It was OK, but I preferred Debian. CentOS used less ram, but Debian by no means hog's it.

Of course, I had to install swanky graphing software on it:- http://vps.redfern.me/munin/redfern.me/vps.redfern.me.html

edit: If that link is down, then it's because my VPS OS has been re-installed. I will be re-installing Munin soon :)

Back
Top Bottom