Audio Speakers to DIE for!

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Well, I saw on google that it was Tesla's B-day and I remembered how I saw some videos on youtube about tesla coils playing music. Well, I found out there's a few people on youtube that have built well working "Plasma Speakers"

Now all these video's there are no speakers and it's all played by the electric current! I had to listen to a few video's to believe that there actually isn't any speakers >.<

Here's some video's -
Some guys prototype. I know mostly no idea what he's explaining but it sounds smart as hell and he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Here's the same guy with an updated Coil

And here's one just for pure sound quality! It looks so simple and yet it's so cool!

The third video seems like he has a clean simple setup. I have a friend on my street that I know would be frickin amazing at this and I'm going to see if he's interested in making one for ourselves!

I seriously am looking into making one of these! I already know the problems they have - Create O-zone, needs lots of continue power, and needs a continuous supply of ionizable gas. (BTW, what's the least hazardous ionizable gas?)

The reason I CAN'T! buy one is there's only ONE company that makes these and there huge! 5+ feet tall and reach prices around $70K to $300K USD.
http://www.acapella.de/english/wir.htm

Oh! There's a model out - Acapella Violons - They are only $29,000! I can afford those . . . when i get a good job!

Seriously, I love speakers and well . . . I love these xP
Anyone interested in these?

Hmm... adds to the Ozone? Thats not good...

"his single particular speaker takes more than 300W continuous power.. another problem is that they produce some ozone which can be smelled at very low concentrations."

It sure does look impressive though, but the fact theres no real bass, means its only useful for mids (one vid said it'd need far too much power to create loud bass), and I'm not sure wheather the quality would be any better than a traditional cone anyway, making it pretty useless, except for the look.

I'm not sure wheather the quality would be any better than a traditional cone anyway, making it pretty useless, except for the look.
Kage has hit it pretty much on the head there as far as I know - I've seen these things before, they're damn impressive to look at but in terms of all practical uses that I know of cones do win.

In a way it's a shame, because it's damn impressive and looks spectacular, but it does seem a bit of a solution without a problem to me. :(

Looking at the Spharon Excalibur speakers, which are actually available to buy (I got it from one of the comments), they say that the plasma, since it has no real density can reach higher than traditional cones, at 50KHZ, but do note that human hearing stops at around 20KHZ for most people, and most music (at least what we get to hear from CD's, MP3's, etc) are all encoded at a max of 20KHZ, and thats what most amps can release too.

For these speakers to work, you'd need one of those plasma speakers, but you'd also need a traditional cone for the bass portion, unless you really wanted to run a generator to power them.

Green conscience people would not be happy either way :p

You can always get a light setup to react to the music :D

Remember seeing a project on instructables about DIYing one. You could probably have a look and see if it's still there. I'll check myself tomorrow.

I had a think about this (yes, I do think about these sorts of things in my spare time :p ) and it struck me that the ability to produce frequencies above and beyond human hearing by quite a margin may come into play in how this technology is used. Conventional cones struggle to even make it to 20k most of the time, so perhaps this sort of thing could be used where ultra high frequencies are required for whatever purpose? Not in the audio reproduction market, but in special fields of scientific research. So while not a technology that could be directly beneficial to us, it could be a result of research that helps research in other areas perhaps... thoughts?

Of course, there may also be a better way of doing this that I don't know about - just thought I'd throw it out there :)

Tesla was the f'in man.. Can you imagine what he could have created with today's knowledge?!

Back
Top Bottom