do i need better memory??

matt boyd

Baseband Member
hi, i have a brand new computer, intel core 2 quad q6600 2.4, 850w psu(good make, just can't remember right now!) asus P5N-D mother board, graphics card is a HD4870 2gb, and the memory is 4gb of corsair ddr2-800 (2 x 2gb sticks). whenever i play any type of games, it will crash after 10 minutes or u could be playing it for an hour, but it will always crash! it freezes, goes to the blue screen of death, goes blank then reboots itself. only happens when i play games, which is what i bought the computer for in the first place! a friends of mine had it for a couple of weeks to try it out, he knows more about computers than i do. he says its the memory, he says its a cheap brand and that seems to be the only thing he can see that would cause this to happen. basically i need other opinions as i don't want to go out and buy expensive memory which may cost a hundred or so bucks if its not going to fix the problem. so, would my memory be the cause of the crashes?

That's good RAM. Corsair is extremely reputable. Is this a mass manufactured computer, or custom built personally? If its not MMC, id think it something with the OS, but if it only happens when your playing games. The graphics may not be able to handle what your playing or its over heating. This is extremely broad, but maybe further into the thread it will be more visible as to what part is malfunctioning.

-Chris

thanks for the replys. i have vista 32 bit. shouldn't be over heating, i speed up the fan speed etc via the control centre in the ati software(which is something else that has all of a suddend stopped working! will no longer open!!) it was a computer i had built to my spec from a company. it was crashing before, the games were just freezing up, and i was told by someone when i told them the spec of the computer that my psu wasn't powerfull enough(it was standard 650w), so i spent $200 on a good make and a 850w thinking that would solve the problem!!!! i can use the computer to suft the web etc all day if i wanted, no problems, just when i play games it crashes. the games for expamle are cod 4, prince of persia etc. i have a very good games card, a ato radeon 2gb card, 4 gb of mem, all software etc upto date, latest os system! its driving me crazy!

Well putting two and two together and using a little knowledge, your graphics just seems to be acting stupid. Ill send kevin here, he will prolly be able to pinpoint an issue with this. Did you check your RAM with memtest?

-Chris

hi, thanks alot for the fast replies, thats great! i haven't checked the computer with the mem test yet, i'm using a different computer as i haven't hooked up the other computer back up yet as i only got it back from my friend who was checking it out for me this evening. i will defenetly do that tomorrow and see what it says and post on the forum. i've had the computer since last november and i haven't been able to do anything with it as yet! i bought it from a company, sent it back as it wasn't working right(they said it was a faulty graphics card) after 6 weeks got it back and it still won't work right! i gave up on the company as they were useless!

hi, thanks alot for the fast replies, thats great! i haven't checked the computer with the mem test yet, i'm using a different computer as i haven't hooked up the other computer back up yet as i only got it back from my friend who was checking it out for me this evening. i will defenetly do that tomorrow and see what it says and post on the forum. i've had the computer since last november and i haven't been able to do anything with it as yet! i bought it from a company, sent it back as it wasn't working right(they said it was a faulty graphics card) after 6 weeks got it back and it still won't work right! i gave up on the company as they were useless!

I dont doubt it. Most computer companies arent what I would consider very, ugh, respectable? Run memtest and let us know how that turned out. Just out of curiosity, your CPU isnt overclocked is it? If its unstable then your problem just got uncovered. There is a program for checking, Kevin is trying to think of it.

----------Chris----------

I would try going on ATI's site and upgrading your graphics card drivers to the latest version and i would also check the temp on it as well if its running above 95F then its running way to hot. also are you oc'ing your computer you might wanna go down on your FSB or raise your voltage a good way to test and make sure your overall system is stable is download w prime run the 1024M test and if your computer crashes then its unstable and will have to go from there on finding the problem. and another question are you running the stock heatsink on your intel cpu?

no, i didn't want it over clocked!! they did offer that service, but to be honest, i just wanted a "trouble free" gaming computer!!! lol that turned out well for me huh!!:confused:

i downloaded the latest drivers from ati's website, first thing i tried to be honest. i checked the temp and it was running ok, can't remember what now, but it wasn't too hot, infact i even ran the fan alittle more to cool it down just incase to be on the safe side! nothing on the computer has been over clocked.

Back
Top Bottom