Should I RMA my RAM?

Bob94571

In Runtime
So I just upgraded my comp a week ago and have had issues with playing games. It has crashed to desktop a few times in bf2 and completely crashed 3 times now. It crashed while just browsing the web too. I downloaded memtest and ran it, the first time it came back with 26 errors on one pass most of them were ECC correctable I think, I went into the bios and tweaked the timings manually to the RAMs default (the auto settings had the timings a little looser.) Ran memtest again and it came back with 2 errors on test #7 still...

What do you think? Bad RAM, should I send it back for a replacement?

If it's causing issues then I'd send it back - I assume you've isolated the problem to a single dodgy stick?

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it ;)

nah I will now though... ill post the results later on tonight

Update 2.0

K so I ran memtest on both sticks the first one ran 5 passes no errors second one ran 9 passes no errors... I let it go one pass with both sticks in and no errors came back... Im gunna let it run over night with both sticks and see what happens, is it possible it just needed a little reseating to be happy?

Which makes me think, maybe windows 7 wasn't stable (referring to my post about that) because of that, If i get no errors over night I might try windows 7 again and see what happens...

any input?

Update 2.1

K so I ran it with both sticks and got a ton of errors on the first pass, so I ook one out and It went 11 passes no errors, put the other in and when it hit test #7 (random number sequence) memtest "halted" because of an error, ran it again and the stick went 2 passes with no errors...

Im confused lol

Should I just go ahead and RMA it? thats what Im thinking im gunna end up having to do.

any ideas?

Bump

It would probably be a good idea to get and RMA for the module that is throwing the errors. Better safe than sorry.

My motherboard sets my RAM in Automatic to too low of a voltage.

I had to manually set the voltage to 2.0-2.1v to make the RAM stable (It automatically set to 1.8)

Could be worth a try, checking what its set to in the BIOS, and making a few changes, though don't be too drastic.

It caused me so many headaches when I first built this PC, to find it was one simple setting that fixed it all...

yeah I definately am gunna, I ran memtest on the one I was skeptical about while i was at work and on 16 passes came back with over 900 errors so yeah...

And I checked the voltages when I got the new stuff and they were fine, just checked again and still at the same. And If it was a bios prob I don't think one would be showing no errors while the other came back with a bunch... so time to get newegg sendin me some new stuff

thanks guys

It was... I figured I would have to send them both back, I just ordered the new stuff and will get a refund when I ship my old stuff back to them.

Back
Top Bottom