New to Ubuntu

wizard12

Baseband Member
Hi,

I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu using the program Wubi. I am new to the OS so if anyone could give me some tips that would be nice. Also i have a 19 inch widescreen LCD. I know that most 19 inchers have a normal resolution of 1440x900 but when i configure my OS to use that resolution part of the desktop is cut off on the left. Is there any way to correct this?

Nevermind i just fixed it :p but tips would still be nice

tips?...well there really isn't any tips...but to simply play around with the OS. Ubuntu...and many other linux distro's are very easy to use and customize too. One thing i would recommend is learning how to use CLI (Command Line Interface) as you will soon learn makes using Linux much much easier. I would google ubuntu commands in the terminal, and definitely read up on the forums on the ubuntu community website.
http://ubuntuforums.org/

Welcome to Linux btw!! Great OS for simple but yet advanced users :)

U should also download compiz for ubuntu. Compiz gives u all of these cool desktop effects ex. fire on the screen, rain, and other stuff. Think of it like aero on steriods lol.

U should also download compiz for ubuntu. Compiz gives u all of these cool desktop effects ex. fire on the screen, rain, and other stuff. Think of it like aero on steriods lol.

You don't have to download and install Compiz Fusion for that - if you go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and select the Visual Effects tab, you can choose whether to have them disabled, some of them enabled or all of them enabled, if I remember correctly. You may have to install the control panel, though - you can get this through the your package manager. :)

What version did you get? I think 8.10 was the newest and I think another one just came out? Any one help me out on this...

You don't have to download and install Compiz Fusion for that - if you go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and select the Visual Effects tab, you can choose whether to have them disabled, some of them enabled or all of them enabled, if I remember correctly. You may have to install the control panel, though - you can get this through the your package manager. :)
AFAIK, That's not the FULL version of Compiz. The full version lets you do all kinds of weird (and slightly pointless) things, like 3D cubes and all that. Haha

AFAIK, That's not the FULL version of Compiz. The full version lets you do all kinds of weird (and slightly pointless) things, like 3D cubes and all that. Haha

I believe it is. I'll check up later, though. As far as I'm aware, last time I used it on my laptop the only thing I installed was the control centre thing. It didn't stay on for long though - too flash and not very useful in the end.

Compiz is great for showing off, playing around with for an hour and avoiding getting any work done. Most of its features are restricted to that though...

Ubuntu is a great linux OS to start with now, and when things go wrong (they still do sometimes) there's a great wiki and community behind it to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom