Just bought a new 24" LCD.

starting a debate
okay

yes with a low contrast ratio the LCD will seem washed out
thats (as you know) due to the lighting for the screen, on some LCDs you can see the 'white edges' where the lights are
i have this 22" LCD it has a dynamic contract ratio of 20,000:1 :D
my blacks are black and whites are whites
thats my main monitor, i have this 22" LCD
which has a contrast ratio of 3000:1
and i can see a difference between the two ratios
especially when i put a pic 1/2 on one and 1/2 on the other
its interesting to see what you are missing on one screen vs the other
enjoy the pixel real estate

Well I've never had a really good quality CRT either, but I do prefer the standard LCDs I've got now to the standard CRTs I had a few years back. That's mostly due to the fact a lot of CRTs gave me headaches after staring at them for too long - the LCDs I've owned have all seemed softer if that's the right word to use, never had a problem with one :)

starting a debate
okay

yes with a low contrast ratio the LCD will seem washed out
thats (as you know) due to the lighting for the screen, on some LCDs you can see the 'white edges' where the lights are
i have this 22" LCD it has a dynamic contract ratio of 20,000:1 :D
my blacks are black and whites are whites
thats my main monitor, i have this 22" LCD
which has a contrast ratio of 3000:1
and i can see a difference between the two ratios
especially when i put a pic 1/2 on one and 1/2 on the other
its interesting to see what you are missing on one screen vs the other
enjoy the pixel real estate

From what I've read, different brands use different measurements as far as their contrast ratio.

For instance 20,000:1 could be nearly the same as 3000:1 for the simple fact the companies use different means of testing the product.

Just from my understanding, its a boasting game, a measurement turned into a gimmick.

Sorry, but that rating is complete BS.

Most likely what happened is this:

If you look on newegg, for example at my 24'' Asus, you'll see the contrast ratio advertised as 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1)

ASCR stands for ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio, http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=9267

On their website lies words like "oustanding" and "vibrant colors" and "splendid" theres no actual data presented or anything to that effect.

If they can justify using a bigger number, they feel they can produce more markup.

Again, from my understanding just something to make their product have a little bit more markup.

Consumers love to see large numbers. Whether it be 1,000 watts or a contrast ratio of 20,000:1, it all means absolutley jack squat without any context. They'll do anything to get a high number, and most consumers will fall for it.

My computer was advertised to emit 1.21 jigawatts of power by the IMSUTSYT (I make stuff up to sell you this) scale

on topic... Im an LCD fan, mainly for the less bulkyness of it but I like the picture too on the decent models

Sorry, but that rating is complete BS.

Could not have said it better myself. You'll start to get honest specifications once you reach towards the high end spectrum of monitors.

if its BS then just click the link
thats what it says
im not fibbin
and i can notice a differance between the 2 screens, im useing the same GPU for both btw

Consumers love to see large numbers. Whether it be 1,000 watts or a contrast ratio of 20,000:1, it all means absolutley jack squat without any context. They'll do anything to get a high number, and most consumers will fall for it.

and yet no one wants to use the same pic and see for themselfs?
that there is a differeance between the two screens

Back
Top Bottom