First Car!

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello. How you doin y'all?

I might be buying my first vehicle this week. It's an old 1994 Ford F-150 4x4. A guy across town is selling it for $400.:eek:

The problem is it needs new shocks, struts, 4 wheel bearings, drivers side mirror, and windsheild to get it certified.

The question is, do you guys think it's worth it, for the cost of the repairs? I wasnt sure or not, but I'd rather like to buy my first truck, and I cant really afford anything much pricier than that right now. I figure I can let it sit and just fix it one thing at a time when i get the money.

Thanks for your imput!

It depends on the mileage. If it's a high mileage truck, walk away. Those repairs may be just the tip of the iceberg. The current repairs alone may nearly equal the cost of the truck.

What is the mileage? It should run well past 200K.

Also, since you aren't gonna have the money to buy snow tires (which are really a MUST with a pickup for winter... even with 4x4) make sure you have enough money to buy 400lbs or so of something to put in the bed (over the axle) for winter driving. It will help a TON with traction, because even with 4x4 you still slip around in snow.

Yeah, its pretty high mileage. I guess I should wait and shop around for a deal, as I can see in the near future it might need a bit of body work as well. lol i probably couldnt afford deisel fuel anyway after the cost of insurance for a driver that just got his G1.

Another plan of mine was register it as a farming vehicle. then it doesnt have to be certified, or so I was told, as long as I fill out the proper paperwork to drive it on Ontario highways... I can run it till its dead and sell any of the good parts used, probably make back the $400 i pay for it.

by the way, as for the snow tire or 400lbs. of weight: What my dad does with his 2 wheel drive 2000 F-150 is fills most of the back with a few large sandbags, works very nicely.

Thanks for the comments

1) There is NO f-150 that has a diesel engine.
2) I think there is very specific regulations you need to meet to be able to register it like that
3) Any more than 400 lbs is gonna KILL fuel economy and best saved for a set of snow tires.

And if he swapped a diesel in it, and it has under a half million, snatch it, because diesels run FOREVER. And they get darn good mileage too.

diesel is also better for the environment, if it runs well.
and they also Idle very well ;)

also, diesel engines need good glow plugs so check that if it is diesel, because if not the winter will suck to drive in for it.

I want to get an F-150 as my first "car". I'm still waiting to save up the money, but defintiely my favorite truck! Expecially the new line up on the roads, dam...very sexy trucks!!

But yeah, like mentioned above, you'll probably be better off waiting and getting a better deal on something that'll last you longer..in terms of the truck you were looking at for $400.00.

That's what you plug it in.

well ya...it was implied,

but at my old job i knew a guy that put an extra radiator reservoir in his F-350 and when he went to start up his log truck, he would connect 2 pieces of hose to a set up he made that would heat up the Log trucks block using his 350's extra radiator resevoir, clever really ;)

Back
Top Bottom