wierd from with HDMI audio

david90

In Runtime
I have a RADEON 4350 and I use the HDMI for both video and audio. The video works fine and but the audio has a weird problem. When I play a sound (XP), the sound will gradually increase from no sound to the defined level. The problem is similar to the feature that an IPOD has. You can set an ipod to slowly increase the sound level when you turn on the ipod so that you don't get startled.

I'm using an Asus monitor with built in speakers and I already ruled out the monitor being the culprit by testing with an HDTV. I think the problem is not really a problem but maybe a feature?

That is sort of what it sounds like, a feature. I have not heard of this before even on the Ipod..

If I knew this before it would have come in handy because I get scared crap less every time I turn on my ipod.. Lol I need to learn to turn it down before I turn it off.

OP: could you please edit the title to "weird problem with HDMI audio"?

I don't know where to start troubleshooting this problem. I have no leads or entry point. I tried updating the drivers but no luck.

In my system device manager under sound,video and game controllers I do see two devices have legacy driver. I already downloaded and updated the driver so I'm not sure why it still say legacy driver. I assume legacy driver means old or a generic drivers.

OP: could you please edit the title to "weird problem with HDMI audio"?

I don't know where to start troubleshooting this problem. I have no leads or entry point. I tried updating the drivers but no luck.

In my system device manager under sound,video and game controllers I do see two devices have legacy driver. I already downloaded and updated the driver so I'm not sure why it still say legacy driver. I assume legacy driver means old or a generic drivers.

Do you have any other HDMI devices such as an xbox 360 or a PS3 you could see if the sound does the same thing. That would tell you that it is the tv and not your computer.

Have you noticed your computer doing this with headphones or your regular computer speakers?

Do you have any other HDMI devices such as an xbox 360 or a PS3 you could see if the sound does the same thing. That would tell you that it is the tv and not your computer.

Have you noticed your computer doing this with headphones or your regular computer speakers?

It's not the tv/monitor. I already tried connecting my computer to my HDTV via hdmi and it has the same problem. I'm sure that the problem lies within my computer.

Prior to using hdmi, I got audio from the audio jack in the back of my computer and it worked fine with no problem.

I get my hdmi output from a RADEON 4350 video card. Does this mean that the radeon is also a soundcard or does it interface with my onboard sound card to get the audio?

If you look in your sound properties, it should list the video card as a play back device. Select it as your default player and see how the sound works.

If you look in your sound properties, it should list the video card as a play back device. Select it as your default player and see how the sound works.

I went to control panel, "sound and audio property" and in voice and audio tab I see two choices in the default device drop down menu: Realtek HDA HDMI out and Realtek HD audio output. Before when I didn't use hdmi, Realtek HD audio output was selected and audio came out of the audio plug. When I switched to HDMI, I selected RealTek HDA HDMI instead and I got audio from HDMI but with the problem stated above.

Under the hardware tab in sound and audio property, I do see an "ATI HDMI Audio" entry.

Why are the active sound devices from RealTek instead of ATI (my video card where I plug the hdmi cable into)?

Back
Top Bottom