mobo - asus p5n72 t
sound - supremefxII
cpu - q9550
cpu cooler cm hyper 212
ram - corsair dominator 8500 1066 2x2gigs
video - bfg geforce 250 gts 1gig
psu 600 coolermaster
hhd sata 3.0 wd 32 mgs cach 640gig

now what would be the best way to overclock this system with out any problems i have a ruf idea how to overclock but dont want to hurt the system ... p.s first time listing specs :cool:

Oh jeez. Overclocking is a VERY lengthy process that can really make you quite frustrated.

You have to alter the FSB speed in your BIOS, because that is what all of your components communicate off of.

But then you have the RAM issue, where you may need to overclock that as well and mess with the voltages.

Just go into your BIOS and find where (and if) you can change the FSB speed, and start increasing it by small increments, rebooting each time you increase. Then make sure your system boots, and when you raise it significantly run some sort of pcmark test to be sure the system is stable.

You SHOULDN'T run the risk of damaging your system. If you mess up, the computer will know and it will alert you of it. It will also usually restore the BIOS to the default settings.

So just be careful and be sure you have enough cooling, especially if you are changing any voltages. Always monitor your CPU temp, RAM temp, case temp, etc. There are plenty of programs to do this; even your BIOS.

But overclocking is pretty different for every person.

hey and ty for your reply i have oc before and had oc the cpu to 3.96 lol it i always watch temps key thing to do!!!! however the one thing i do not understand is the volts my computer is well cooled i have 9 120 fans inside cooling it cpu has two going one direction i did my research, but when i oc lets say to 3.40 witch is 1600 fsb and my ram is native 1066 i notice a bit of lag but now with benchmarking is that normal?????

Um... Not sure. I'm no overclocking genius but I know that your FSB and RAM should be somewhat the same (or RAM should be half the FSB...gah I can't remember). If you bring up the FSB, you should also bring up the RAM speed as well. If you're going above the set RAM speed, you will need to change the voltage to compliment the speed. Sounds like you have enough cooling.

Do you know what your CPU multiplier is? If you're getting some lag, that probably means the RAM isn't communicating with the bus fast enough (i think.) You may have to bring the ram up as well. Try to get it the same as the FSB, and if that requires you to go over the set speed of the RAM, start increasing the voltage little by little until the system is stable.

Edit
----
Here. Read this!

ok so i have 2x2 = 4gigs of dominators 8500 with fan at 1066 sli,expert mode. i can oc the cpu but not the ram, iv never played with volt settings!!!!! for these ram what do i set it at and what fsb.

Back
Top Bottom