Installing Windows 7 64-bit

Ugh...
Not the media - The issue has happened with Windows 7 BETA, Windows 7 RC, Vista 64-bit, and Vista 32-bit - all separate burns.

Not the DVD Drive - it has worked fine in other machines installing XP 64-bit, and Vista.

Not the hard-disk - I have tried to install Windows 7 and Vista on another hard-drive in this system with the same problem.

It's not memory either that gets loaded up when installing anything including an OS. Rather it's the load on the cpu time you have to look at. With all the problems installing Vista as well as 7 you have to start looking at that or some board fault being the cause.

Another thing to consider would the ATA or ACHI mode if you are installing onto a sata drive if you made any changes in the bios. You may have to switch a setting there if no hardware problems are uncovered.

For a first time look at the desktop here both XP and Vista ran about 45 minutes on a clean install while 7 comes up in 20 or so! The lengthy time being seen there definitely indicates a problem you need to solve first. At present all we can do is point out things to look at.

@Dodge
Thanks for your help
I'm not using RAID or AHCI, so the SATA mode is set to ATA.

I've even tried loading the fail-safe defaults, to no avail.

Try to use AHCI mode, and, since that happened to e before, try another HDD in the system. 7 tends to be a pain in the butt for storage.

I still think it could be memory. I have seen RAM do this in the past and don't doubt that it could at fault now.

@elgsus
I highly doubt it is the memory, or that it's "natural".
Windows XP takes 15 minutes to install. I left Vista installing for over 8 hours and it got to 25%. Are you telling me Vista SHOULD take over 24 hours to install? Windows 7 took from 7pm until 11pm to get to 95% and did not progress after that for a couple of hours.

Well sorry for trying to help you. As I said before, having 2GB of RAM for Windows 7 is pushing it, but hey what do I know? I'm just a "newbie."

Don't want to take my advice, that's fine.

Oh, by the way - Have you seen how DIFFERENT Windows 7 and XP are? I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking Windows 7 will take a little longer than xp... but I could be wrong. lol. I don't know why it takes so long, but it does. Any computer I have installed Vista or 7 on has hung at a certain percentage for a while, then suddenly jumped a massive amount.

I know you're tired of hearing about bad installation media being the problem, but have you tried booting/installing from a USB flash drive? If nothing else, it will be much faster than installing from DVD.
Good luck...

I still think it could be memory. I have seen RAM do this in the past and don't doubt that it could at fault now.

Exactly. Otherwise, the only other reason I could think of why this is happening is you either have a failing CD/DVD Drive, or the discs you are using for some reason have stone age-like speed.

Back
Top Bottom