Building My 1st PC in + 10 Years. Here's The Specs, Advice and Opinions Appreciated

CRSO

Beta member
Hello everyone, new user here. I used to build pc's a long time ago (looong time) and switched to thinkpads since I'm on the go. Well, netbooks now do what I need on the road so I'm going to build a PC again.

It's going to be used for general computing and for my digital audio workstation in my music studio. I have an external mixer to handle all the audio. I won't be gaming much but who knows, I like a good PC game so I'd like it to handle games well.

Here are the specs of the hardware I picked out and would like opinions on any of the following:

Coolermaster HAF 930 Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield LGA775
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA775
Sapphire HD 4870 1GB 100259-1GL
Thermaltake TR2 430 Watt ATX 12V PS
GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 PC28500 RAM

I already have hard drives, monitors, a LAN card, keyboard, etc.

I want the best bang for the buck and would like to stay around 700-800.00 USD.

Please let me know if there are any compatibility issues between this hardware and if there are any bottlecks of data. If you recommend a different processor / moBo combo or different graphics card, please let me know.

Thanks a million.

I'd get a little more power. 430 watts is kind of pushing the envelope. 500-550w would probably do. The OCZ ModXStream PRO is a pretty good PSU if you have lots of HDD's or intend to do a CrossFire configuration. I would suggest the Corsair 550VX but it is a little expensive for your budget.

I'd get a little more power. 430 watts is kind of pushing the envelope. 500-550w would probably do. The OCZ ModXStream PRO is a pretty good PSU if you have lots of HDD's or intend to do a CrossFire configuration. I would suggest the Corsair 550VX but it is a little expensive for your budget.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I figured that I should go with a little more power as I'm hooking up 4 HHD's.

Could I shave a little off the MoBo / processor combo or the Video Card and have similar performance? I made sure to research compatability and wanted a MoBo with a fast 1333 bus speed and a processor with a good amount of L2 Cache and a quad core. I never worry about clock speed...

The Q9550 is an excellent processor, I've never read much much on the board you posted. I hear the 4870 is an excellent card. GSkill is also very nice RAM. What's the size of your monitor? Perhaps you could downgrade to the 512MB version of the 4870. (If they make one).

But see, the large advantage to be had with the 4870 is the GDDR5 memory. Incredible speeds at a low price. Though a GTS 250 512Mb might outperform the 4870 by a few frames on a 22 inch. The 4870 would beat the GTS 250 512Mb on anything much larger than 22 Inches. It also costs 20 dollars less >.> It's entirely up to the OP because he knows his monitor size.

EDIT: As cheap as the Q9550 has gotten, I'd stick right with it. A Q6600/Q67 will get you similar performance but not nearly as good (unless you overclock) for only about 20 dollars less. Just stick with the Q9550 and save yourself the possibility of a bricked proc.

But see, the large advantage to be had with the 4870 is the GDDR5 memory. Incredible speeds at a low price. Though a GTS 250 512Mb might outperform the 4870 by a few frames on a 22 inch. The 4870 would beat the GTS 250 512Mb on anything much larger than 22 Inches. It also costs 20 dollars less >.> It's entirely up to the OP because he knows his monitor size.

EDIT: As cheap as the Q9550 has gotten, I'd stick right with it. A Q6600/Q67 will get you similar performance but not nearly as good (unless you overclock) for only about 20 dollars less. Just stick with the Q9550 and save yourself the possibility of a bricked proc.

good point...im just saying IF he preferred nvidia he could do what i said

Wow, you guys are great. It looks like I picked out some good stuff!!!

I took your advice and went with a top rated corsair 750 watt PS and everything else stayed the same. I just wanted a solid compatable setup and this configuration is used by quite a few OC's. I'm happy.

As far as the monitors... I have dual Samsung 226BW's (the "S" panels) that I absolutely love.

I'm going to be using this for mostly Audio (Pro-Tools, Cakewalk Sonar), Photoshop, Fireworks and the occasional video game just for the hell of it.

Back
Top Bottom