Motherboard recommendation?

Russel1

Daemon Poster
I have finished experimenting with my new primary computer. Now that it is done I would like to assemble a experimental computer. One that I can overclock, experiment with, install different operating systems on, etc. I love having an experimental computer because if I goof things up, I just wipe the drive and start over. It's fun to try stuff with software and not have to worry about still having a working operating system.

Anyway, I have two EVGA 9600 GSO 512MB DDR3 Video display adapters and a good PC power and cooling 610 watt power supply. I'd like to choose a motherboard that will support SLI, be overclocking friendly, and support an AMD processor. (My current primary computer is an Intel, so I would prefer an AMD so that I can become familiar with some of the differences in these modern processors.)

Again:

Overclocking friendly
Support SLI with two EVGA 9600GSO cards
Preferably AMD processor
Also, because this is an extra computer, pricing is important.

What do you suggest?

Well, motherboard mostly, but CPU and ram recommendations wouldn't hurt. I am going to have to purchase them too.

I'd like to keep the motherboard under $150 and CPU under $200. Ram pricing isn't too big of a concern, so performance is more important with ram.

[edit]
I had to run, I was fixing a snack while answering this...

Looking good as usual AR. Do the video cards merit a little more performance, or would that be a waste.

Also, the planned OS is Vista Ultimate 32 bit...already purchased.

You know, every time you use "p2" instead of Phenom II, it makes me think you're talking about a Pentium 2.

Do you have any links that show the overclocking ability of the Phenom II X4 905e. I can't seem to find any reviews of the CPU.

I can't really find anything on it, not even any benches.
All I saw was an article in one of the many magzines my school gets that kinda explained it, then they OC'd it to 3.4 on air cooling.

The really big attraction of it seems to be the fact that it is a low-energy consumer.

Looking good as usual AR. Do the video cards merit a little more performance, or would that be a waste.

Also, the planned OS is Vista Ultimate 32 bit...already purchased.
If you already have the two 9600 GSO cards, you may as well use them. But if you're serious about some SLI goodness, a pair of GTX 260's would be bitchen. They scale extremely well in SLI and perform phenomenally. :D

I can't really find anything on it, not even any benches.
All I saw was an article in one of the many magzines my school gets that kinda explained it, then they OC'd it to 3.4 on air cooling.

The really big attraction of it seems to be the fact that it is a low-energy consumer.
But the big kick against them is that they are locked. Any overclock will be limited by the lack of multiplier adjustment.

Nope. It's Crossfire only. Apparently he failed to fully read your first post.

I say use the money you saved on the mobo and get the 945. Now that is an awesome CPU.
Which is another "locked" CPU. If you're going to overclock an AMD CPU, you should get the unlocked Black Edition chips to get the best results.

Back
Top Bottom