Bootloader Issue

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello.
I'm working on a bit of a project: Running a copy of Windows NT 4.0 Workstation from a USB Flash Drive. I've managed to trick the computer into thinking the drive was a hard disk, allowing me to install NT onto the device. However I'm not certain how to change the NT bootloader. Here's what I have added/edited from the original Boot.INI from a Win2K and WinNT system and placed on the flash drive:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WNNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

The problem is this: I'm assuming it's directing the BIOS to the main hard drive, wich, on my testing machine in XP Home. How can I edit the boot.INI to direct it to the flash drive?

BTW, yes my computer (Acer Aspire 5315) does support booting from USB devices.

The boot loader is looking for \WNNT on partition 1 of disk 0

You need to change the boot loader to reflect the location of the NT system directory on the flash drive.

Look in Disk Management, what disk number has NT been fooled into assigning the USB drive?

It didnt full out SAY in Disk Management what number it was, but it was second on the list so I'm assuming Disk 1 if the hard drive is Disk 0?

Back
Top Bottom