What does CF think of Geek Squad.

I work at Best Buy in the computers deptartment. Geeksquad CIA agents (people at the counter) don't really know much beyond ringing up sales (thats basically all they do). I recommend laptops/desktops to customers > offer services/warranties > take computer to Geeksquad > Geeksquad asks customer, "Are you paying cash or credit?"

I would never go there for PC problems. But I would work there for a job. I really like this place though. It's local so teny might have heard of it. There prices are high but they know how to do business and they really know HOW computers work. I am also always enchanted by their cable management skills. In the same case I have, their cable management on a power supply with many more cables is at least ten times better than the best I can do. Anyway here they are. PC Brokers.

I can't really comment on GS, but I can say a computer-related job will help when you look for a full-time job.

Mike Meyers is the book I used for the A+ and felt that I was really prepared for it, at least the 2nd time I had to take it. I was 5 points away from passing the first time....uhhh.... The second time I used his book and passed with no problem.

I work at a local chain where I get paid a lot less. However, I fix a lot of problems that geek squad causes so It's kind of worth it to me.

Don't get me wrong though, some do know what they are doing. It's just most don't.

reminds me of a company called pc world, the it techs know jack about computers i got a local company to put right what they did for alot cheaper.

in Canada, we have what's called Future Shop, and they have Connect Pro. What is it? Geek squad's friend...it's the same BS.

Seriously, I like working there, because I knew my stuff and...well...I kinda bypassed the rules of calling to reformat and backup...a 1-10 min fix for the 45 bucks fee...instead of a $180 for a backup/reinstall....ouch!

so far as I know there is only one place in the UK with a geek squd and that's somewhere in the westside of London, as I drive past it on my way in/out when I'm working in London...

I imagine that they are the same as the Tech Guys that you see at PC world though in the UK.

My impression of them is that they are jumped up little no-it-alls who actually know nothing, and they like to assert themselves by confusing old ladies into buying the most expensive thing in the shop, when they know that they don't really need it and it might not even fix their problem...

I once went to PC world and bought a router, they over charged me so i went back. -their returns/complaints desk is the tech guyz desk as well...

the guy in front of me was returning an IDE drive as it appeared to be missing a pin in the centre of one of the rows of pins...

the buy actually took it back and swapped it as well for a different make drive.
(for those that don't know, pin 19 of the IDE connector is a blanking pin and it's quite usual for it to be missing from the drive, some manufacturers leave it in, some leave it out, it doesn't do anything)

Back
Top Bottom