I got an awesome deal (I think)

foothead

Omnicide now.
Sooooo......
I was on ebay about 2 weeks ago and this caught my eye.
$32 for the 700w gamexstream?
I figured it was some sort of scam, but the seller had good ratings and I bought it. It came in today, and this thing looks new. It appears it hadn't even been mounted yet. I put it on my old P4 rig, and it booted, and everything worked fine.

Anyway, here is my question... How can I test PSU integrity before I put it in my new rig? I want to be sure I won't lose all my expensive new parts. Is there even really a way other than just leaving it on for a long time?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the long post.

OK thanks Russel.
I just want to be sure this thing won't kill my rig the first time I put it on a heavy load.
It seems very solid though, and weighs at least 5 times more than my old generic 580w which has served me well for about 3 years now.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=85263

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330328920373

You were saying?

Anyway, here is my question... How can I test PSU integrity before I put it in my new rig? I want to be sure I won't lose all my expensive new parts. Is there even really a way other than just leaving it on for a long time?
You could use a multimeter and test the voltage of the different rails. PCI-Es run from the 12V, floppy from the 3.3V (Not sure on that one)
You would need to jump start the PSU to test the voltages, simply google "Jump start PSU", it's very simple.

TBH, I would just put it straight in.

Thanks, worship, that's exactly what I did, and it seems fine.
I'm just worried it might fail under heavy loads on my new gaming rig, which is costing me a lot of money, so I don't want to take any chances on this.

^For how much? I don't have a fry's within 200 miles of my house, so I would have to ship it too.

What are the chances of it killing my mobo if there is something wrong that I can't find myself?

I highly doubt it will destroy everything in your system. Plug the power supply in and just plug in a few fans to see if it works. Try plugging a few graphic cards on it for some stress after that. Power supplies are designed to protect the system in case of an electrical failure. They short out or turn off before anything happens. The newer power supplies have built in voltage regulators.

^ OK thanks.
I plugged in pretty much every part I own, and it still performed flawlessly.
However, this was still on a P4HT.

But I guess I'll just try it when my CPU comes in (whenever that is) and I figure that if it kills anything, it will probably be the mobo, which is $110, so not TOO big an expense, however, I don't have any way to try out the PCI-E power connectors, but I'll just hope they do fine. (all my graphics cards are SUPER old)

Back
Top Bottom