Connecting to internet??

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I am using my Dell Inspiron Laptop...upstairs in my room (connected to the internet with a Linksys which is downstairs). Anyhoo, the family computer downstairs for one reason or another is not connecting to the internet. Not the brightest crayola in the crayon box, I do not know why it is not working. It is connected directly to our cable modem. What things should I be looking for??

Thanks!

Were you able to connect with both of them at the same time before? I ask because I am wondering if you have a router or not. If you just set up the wireless access point and are using it for your notebook computer upstairs, but aren't using a router, then only one computer will be able to connect at a time.

Sometimes the router is built into the modem, in which case it is usually called a gateway. I am wondering which you have...so back to the question. Did it work before or is it a new configuration?

The model number of your Linksys would help us if you don't know what exactly it is.

If it is a wireless router then have you turned on MAC address clone? Are there any IP address conflicts?

Foothead---yes, that is how it is connected. We've had this setup for years and we're both always online and never had a problem. I'm thinking it's something stupid/simple, like the time I accidentally pressed Fn + F2 and it shut off the internet on my laptop, haha.

Russel--nothing new...old configuration.

Tommy Boy--Linksys Wireless G with Speed Booster (2.4 Ghz). Actually, we have two Linksys downstairs (different models) and one day I may have plugged the other one in by accident. Could this be the problem? My internet upstairs is still perfect.

Thanks guys.

If your internet upstairs is fine, I will say no, but be sure it is connected to the right one.
If you did switch them, then maybe.

You have reset both the modem and router, modem first, right?

Switched the Linksys routers and neither computer worked. Switched back, now mine works but her's still does not.

If your internet upstairs is fine, I will say no, but be sure it is connected to the right one.
If you did switch them, then maybe.

You have reset both the modem and router, modem first, right?
Not reset.....restart....power off then power on. But yes, unplug both, plug the modem back in and let it establish it's connection and then plug the router back in. Make sure you have the pc plugged into the correct router as well.

Back
Top Bottom