Math Equation for you all

The problem reminds me of the calculus problem "What is the volume of a drum laying on it's side with contents measuring 8 inches at the deepest point.

My answer: Stand the drum upright, radius squared time pi times the measured depth of the contents.

The problem reminds me of the calculus problem "What is the volume of a drum laying on it's side with contents measuring 8 inches at the deepest point.

My answer: Stand the drum upright, radius squared time pi times the measured depth of the contents.

I'm sorry but that is the wrong answer.
The correct answer is, it's a trick question. The contents falls out :D

RuberChicken has the best method. Graph the equation of a circle with a radius of 294 units. The find the same tangent you know in real life using the derivative at point C (the point you know in real life). Using this number you should now be able to graph a line to represent the tangent. Then go to the table on your calculator and subtract the Y values of the point on the circle from the point on the tangent line.

I'm sorry but that is the wrong answer.
The correct answer is, it's a trick question. The contents falls out :D

The other answer to what is the volume of the contents of a drum laying on its side with liquid 8" at the deepest:

55 gallons. The contents are partly air and partly liquid:)

If I graph the circle with center, (0,-294), and then graph, "y=4, y=8, y=12... y=80" I can just find the intersections of the lines and the circle, and that will be the lengths correct?
What is the equation of a circle again in Y= form?... (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2
So... x^2 + (y + 294)^2 = 294^2

x^2 + y^2 + 588y + 86436 = 86436
- 86436 -86436
------------------------------------
x^2 + y^2 + 588y = 0

Anyone want to help me from here? I know... basic algebra 2, but I'm not sure if I am doing right so far....

If I graph the circle with center, (0,-294), and then graph, "y=4, y=8, y=12... y=80" I can just find the intersections of the lines and the circle, and that will be the lengths correct?

- 86436 -86436
x^2 + y^2 + 588y = 0

Anyone want to help me from here? I know... basic algebra 2, but I'm not sure if I am doing right so far....

Ummmm... *Was murdered by your equation*

- 86436 -86436
x^2 + y^2 + 588y = 0

Graph the circle with center (0,0). Then find the equation of the tangent line you mentioned. Use the vertical lines and find intersections with the circles and the tangent line. Compare the y values of corresponding x values at the intersections on every x = 4. This should be the length you're looking for.

What is the equation for the graph of the circle though?...

If I graph it with center (0,+-294) the tangent line is the X-axis.

*sigh* The things people will do for some rep points. Unless the equation contains MHz, There probably isn't much I can do for you.

Back
Top Bottom